Bow Light Replacement

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My C30 has the original Aqua Signal 25 bow light which needs to be replaced.
I chose to go with and ordered the MarineBeam USCG approved LED bow light which is rated for 2NM.
Didn't consider that it was larger and won't fit the existing pulpit mounting plate. I can make an adapter plate out of starboard but......
The issue is the wiring. The MB light is sealed with 8' of wire out the back. I'll need to cut it and use shrink adhesive butt connectors to connect to the wires coming out of the pulpit rail, leaving them exposed to weather. I thought maybe I could coat them with 3M 4000UV to protect them. The hole in the rail is too small to tuck the connectors into it.

The alternative is to just replace with a new Aqua Signal 25 which is rated for 1NM. The AS light is made so the wires connect inside the light.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Why not use a block of teak as the adapter between the stainless and the light and tuck the wire and butt connections in a pocket in the back of the block?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Can you join the 8 feet of wire to the existing wire and pull it back through the pulpit to the anchor locker? Last year I was having intermitted trouble with mine so pulled a new wire through. Junction box in the anchor locker. Not sure how yours is wired. (was a pita but worked)

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I mounted mine on the stainless bracket. It did require quite a bit of surgery to get it to fit. I used the old wires to pull the new one but if I had to do it again I’d pull a string then the new wires. Getting them past the deck joint was a chore that involved standing upside down in the anchor locker.

Well wort it — those marine beams are bright.!!! I purchased them at the Annapolis Boat Show.

Edit - also added their stern light to the Radar pole, dinghy on davits obscured the origional one (still there but wires cut).

Les

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm with @Michael Davis , the reason for the 8' of wire is to get the connection back to a dry area of the boat so perfect waterproof connections are not needed. Not certain of your bow arrangement, but I've got a 4" (knuckle buster) access panel in the front of the anchor locker for the bow wires and access to the cleat bolts. It won't be fun to pull it back, but you could pull the wire from both sides back through the hole, make your butt connections, then stuff it back in. Alternatively, you could take some teak paneling down in the V-berth, and find that bow light wire and patch in from there. Anything is better than an electrical connection out in the open.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Glad to hear that it is possible to pull the wires through the pulpit, they seem really tight to me. I do have the access port in the front of the anchor locker for access to the wires. I tried pulling some of the excess up to the light with no success.

At the beginning of last season I bent the pulpit pretty good when I slammed it into a piling trying to dock. I bought an almost new replacement, just haven't installed it yet.

I decided it makes more sense to put the MB LED light on the newer pulpit. It has a larger light mount so that part should be easier and I can pull the new wire while it is here at home.

Thanks everyone.