Bow "cap" Damage, 1984 Hunter 27

Mar 20, 2013
Hunter 27 MD
1984 Hunter 27. Boat on mooring, another boat broke loose and hit our bow, damaging the "bow cap", pictures attached.

Do they make replacement fiberglass "bow cap" ? (maybe part is officially called something else).

Any recommendations on repair ? Thanks !!!
post 1.jpg

post 2.jpg

post 3.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Yikes!

Well I guess I'd get the other boater's insurance information and then take it to a pro-shop for repairs.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I chewed mine up years ago, although not quite as bad as yours, and not knowing any better I let the guy who does marine services at my old marina just filled the gap with epoxy to keep the water out. Not the cleanest look, but it's held up for 12 years so far.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2013
Hunter 27 MD
I chewed mine up years ago, although not quite as bad as yours, and not knowing any better I let the guy who does marine services at my old marina just filled the gap with epoxy to keep the water out. Not the cleanest look, but it's held up for 12 years so far.
Thanks !!!

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I would have a fiberglass guy give you an estimate and present it to their insurance company. Filling a gap that large with thickened epoxy might keep the water out for a while, but the value of your boat will take a major hit.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Assuming the options of a formal fiberglass repair is not practical, do a Google search on the words "Marine Corner Cap" You will find a lot of very interesting possibilities. Most are made for 90 degree corners, however you may be able to trim out the center of the corner so it matches up to a narrower V. Use some 5200 and screw the cap over the mess.

Just want to add something else I found under "Rub Rail Accessories"

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
+1 on what Markbird and rgranger said. Get the insurance of the other boat, get a good fiberglass repair person to fix this right.

dj