Bounty Captain Reckless?

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
This is a case study in "Normalization of Deviance", a very real psychological phenomenon in any activity requiring risk based decision making. It affects the smart and stupid, competent and incompetent. It was present in decision making leading to the Challenger disaster, and I think here as well.

Essentially, through previous positive experiences "pushing the envelope", we become less and less capable of making proper risk assessments. Our standards become lower and lower, until we receive a corrective experience courtesy of reality. Hopefully the corrective experience isn't a fatal one. In this case it was. However, I think we gain greater benefit to our own decision making process by attempting to understand how such decisions were made, rather than just attributing them to a "murderous idiot".

And don't forget Murphy.

Jan 6, 2010
You know guys,

it's not so much semantics, but rather poor decision making.

I couldn't care less for Capt. Walbridge's decision. He had years of experience with the sea. Sadly, sometimes experience clouds good decision making. My post was not so much vilification of him, but rather pointing to a series of missteps leading up two two people dying. This easily could have been avoided. Alas, the crew had faith in what he said.

Living here in Florida & based on my experiences, if you don't fear mother nature & her fury, your doomed; PERIOD. Remember as the weather gets bigger, boats get smaller.

Let me ask you all, what decision would YOU have made? By what I've read in this thread, 99° would have stayed in port. What I don't understand, is why some in this thread speak in his defense. What defense does he have, based on his decision to set sail? Did he realize the risk, we'll never fully know. However, being, "The Captain", he failed in his responsibilities to the crew & ship. Simple fact, and people died.

Why you ask? He simply(or arrogantly) ignored safety for he wanted to keep on a schedule. Was he arrogant in his decision to sail, Yes, he was. Did he have the right to put his crew in a life-n-death situation? I say definitely no. Did he feel he could beat Mother Nature, sadly yes, however he was wrong.

We all know the facts which led to this disaster, so let's just all call a spade a spade.

CR

group9

Feb 2, 2014
Catalina 42 Mississippi
Well, whatever you want to call his decision to sail into a hurricane with an ill prepared vessel, you can't say he hasn't paid the penalty for that decision.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Respect for the chain of command?

That mentality went out the window long ago. The days of the silver haired Captain being GOD evaporated into the smoke and mist of numerous aircraft accidents years ago. The civil aviation side, then the military, the medical field and many others have recognized the team concept where everyone is responsible for the safety and success of the flight, voyage, operation or whatever. Call it CRM, ORM, MRM, or TCT. One of the very first days of flight school the instructor held out his hands one higher than the other and said, "You start out with a whole lot of luck and no experience. The secret is to not use up all your luck as you gain experience" Finishing with the position of each hand opposite from where they started. Walbridge had no luck left as he gain his last bit of experience.

He succeeded only in putting the Bounty out of it's misery and ending the career of someone who should not have had the honor of being called Captain. His truly unfortunate and unforgivable last act was to take an innocent and unsuspecting life with him. Had he gone alone he could be romanticized much like Casey Jones as it is he will be vilified for his senseless risk taking.

May 31, 2004
Catalina 28 Branford
You know guys,

it's not so much semantics, but rather poor decision making.

I couldn't care less for Capt. Walbridge's decision. He had years of experience with the sea. Sadly, sometimes experience clouds good decision making. My post was not so much vilification of him, but rather pointing to a series of missteps leading up two two people dying. This easily could have been avoided. Alas, the crew had faith in what he said.

Living here in Florida & based on my experiences, if you don't fear mother nature & her fury, your doomed; PERIOD. Remember as the weather gets bigger, boats get smaller.

Let me ask you all, what decision would YOU have made? By what I've read in this thread, 99° would have stayed in port. What I don't understand, is why some in this thread speak in his defense. What defense does he have, based on his decision to set sail? Did he realize the risk, we'll never fully know. However, being, "The Captain", he failed in his responsibilities to the crew & ship. Simple fact, and people died.

Why you ask? He simply(or arrogantly) ignored safety for he wanted to keep on a schedule. Was he arrogant in his decision to sail, Yes, he was. Did he have the right to put his crew in a life-n-death situation? I say definitely no. Did he feel he could beat Mother Nature, sadly yes, however he was wrong.

We all know the facts which led to this disaster, so let's just all call a spade a spade.

CR
Ron: I haven't read anyone saying they would have made the same decision, or that his decision was defensible. Don't mistake those who seek to understand or theorize how or why the Captain left port with those (I think non-existent) souls who agree with his course of action.

If you eliminate the "he was suicidal" or "he was insane" theories, then I think there is something to be learned here. It is blazingly obvious to us that his decision was beyond reckless and stupid, but to his experienced, and presumably rational mind, it made perfect sense. I find it interesting and illuminating to hear the various theories about what could have lead to this seemingly complete breakdown of common sense. I hope that I'm never in such a situation (and I don't mean thinking about sailing in a hurricane; ain't no way that's happening. Ever.) but if I am, I want to remember what happened here so that I can avoid coming anywhere close to this scenario.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I remember there was a thread on here about the Bounty as she was sailing toward the hurricane, before she sank. Many folks were questioning his sanity because the Spot indicated that she was heading west as they were approaching the storm. I remember posting that it had to be a "gutsy" move to try to squeeze between the coast (at Hatteras, no less) and the storm in order to ride the storm on the downwind side. I think I figured they would succeed.

I like what Johann said is pretty accurate. I think that it is pretty well known that avalanche in the mountains claim the lives of more "experienced" back-country skiers .... skiers who presumably have more knowledge about snow conditions ... than knuckleheads who don't have a clue. I asked my son about the skiers that were victims (one died) of avalanche outside Vail, Co earlier this year. They were definitely "experienced" but my son (who lives there) said "oh those idiots ... the snow is always going to be unstable early in the year and they knew it.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
None of the crew has publicly expressed any misgivings about the Captain and his decision to sail and their decision to be on board. Decisions are made based on past experiences and the information on hand. We are all fallible and conditions are in constant change. Maritime authorities will issue a decision and recommendations that suits their purpose and enhances their standing. Every day we set foot on this world we are taking a risk. Those risks vary in magnitude but so does our ability to accept them. It is OK to perform a forensics analysis on the causes leading to the accident but it is not Ok to malign the persons for decisions made out of their own free will involving their own lives.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
it is not Ok to malign the persons for decisions made out of their own free will involving their own lives.
Except that he drew others into the risk with him, some because they didn't know any better (Miss Christian for example) and others because it is their charge (SAR crew).

I've watched this thread, read every post and cannot avoid comparing this captain's judgment to that of young teens - or their publicity seeking parents - circumnavigating in the interest of world records. Consider the end of Abby Sunderland's quest: in the middle of the Indian Ocean at the wrong time of year, SAR DC-10 out of Australia searching beyond their operational range, three commercial fishing boats diverted for days, one fishing boat captain overboard at the rescue site and that's only what I remember.

No, such decisions have tentacles that are far reaching.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
None of the crew has publicly expressed any misgivings about the Captain and his decision to sail and their decision to be on board
That is absolutely not true.

Most of the paid and non-paid crew stated as such during the investigation; it's all in the report. The first mate even tried privately to talk the captain out of departing. Many told friends and family of their reservations before departure.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
One of the witnesses recounted that Walbridge noted to the crew that, "the safest place for a ship to be during a storm was at sea". When I read that I became convinced the guy was of unsound mind. Somehow he equated his tired old, leaky square-rigger to a modern naval cruiser. He was starring in his own bad movie.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
One of the comments I have heard it is ridiculous to head out to sea no matter what. The Navy will send it's ships out to sea vs. being docked for safety. So often I hear too much bashing of those for making unwise decisions where death occurs. The captain yes made some unwise decisions which lead to his death which lessons can be learned from, so for those who want to "bash" can we simply learn and respect the dead at the same time. I have nothing else to say to this thread.

Gary_H

Nov 5, 2007
Cal 2-25 Carolina Beach NC
Captain Smith had a spotless Career until he sank the Titanic. Which means that No matter how much experience you have and how many totally fantastic decisions you have made over the course of time...you can still screw up and it doesn't take but one bad screw up to end in disaster..