Bought the last outboard I'll ever need today.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Our old 1976 Johnson 6hp was still chugging along, but I've been a mechanic all my life and don't really give a thought to nursing it along from time to time. on the other hand, the admiral has been frustrated by it, so I've had my eye out for quite a wile now for a replacement. I wanted a 2 cycle for the light weight and ability to lay it on any side in the back of the truck wile trailering, without getting oil in the top end etc. So wile browsing CL the other day I see this 1992 4hp Johnson claiming to only have been used 3-4 times since new, and it was local, so I had to check it out for myself. after a careful inspection I have little doubt about the claimed hours used. there is still paint in the starter rope eyelet for cripes sake! It is a short shaft, but I already knew there was an extension kit on flee-bay for a very reasonable price, and I was able to negotiate a price on the motor that I would have been willing to pay for a much more typical motor of this vintage. The thing purrs like the new motor that it is. patience really does pay off ;)
P1040539.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Don't you just love it when a Christmas gift comes together. Yeah for you.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Wow! I'd be tempted to keep that for display and the story and go find another one that's a little bruised!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Cool. I love rescue stories.
If you are ever on Saba Rock in the BVI's, check out the antique outboard motors on display there. Gorgeous machines!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Wow! I'd be tempted to keep that for display and the story and go find another one that's a little bruised!
;) ;)
I only believe in "saving" things in museums on rare occasions. be it old cars or old outboards, the enjoyment (for me anyway) is being able to USE them. My life long dream car was a 62 Corvette, and it took me 51 years to achieve that goal, but now that I have it, it rarely sits for more than a few weeks, year round, including several 100+ mile trips each summer. oh, and did I mention I also built a trailer hitch for it? ;) although I don't use the hitch anymore, now that the boats have outgrown the car, but I used to tow our Alcort Puffer with it. ;) Naaa. the "new" outboard will be used and enjoyed also, as it should be.

P1020658.jpg

P1020567.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you could see the motors on Saba. They are art! And they remind us of our history.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Wife comments favorably on our shared big Johnson:biggrin: .. 1967 model
That looks exactly like the Johnson I'll be retiring. same color and everything (except ours still has the oem shift lever) the admiral says she likes our new one better, because it fires right up and purrs whenever she gently pulls the handle. ;) ;)

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Wife comments favorably on our shared big Johnson:biggrin: .. 1967 model
BTW. if a person is looking for a great paint match for that dark green (NLA from Johnson) I discovered that the Krylon olive camouflage paint is perfect if you also put a light coat of clear over it to give some gloss. I replaced a few parts of my old 6hp over the years and used that combo to re-paint them first. can't even tell which parts aren't original now.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2008
Hunter 33 (Cherubini design Forked River, Barnegat Bay, NJ
Now THAT is neat stuff. Never knew there was a kit available to extend these. I got an older 4 hp with a Hunter 212 I bought. Supposedly needs a carb cleaning to run. I never put any time into it because it was too short. Story of my life. Now with the knowledge that I can get an extension it is worth playing with. I see a likely kit on ebay for $119 already.

"Sweetie, what are you doing?"

"Not much, just playing with my old Johnson"

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I wonder if propane conversions work well on 2 strokes? Maybe not unless they have oil injection? I dunno, I haven't done a conversion of that type, but general consensus is that they run cleaner and you have fewer problems. If its something that is possible, might make a good argument for rescuing old 2-strokes. From my days working on dirt bikes and 2 stroke GP bikes, I just remember how easy they are to tear down and rebuild with way less expensive parts/gaskets, etc...
p.s. lets not start the rants about propane on a boat, just keep the bottle up on deck when in use...

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Now THAT is neat stuff. Never knew there was a kit available to extend these. I got an older 4 hp with a Hunter 212 I bought. Supposedly needs a carb cleaning to run. I never put any time into it because it was too short. Story of my life. Now with the knowledge that I can get an extension it is worth playing with. I see a likely kit on ebay for $119 already.

"Sweetie, what are you doing?"

"Not much, just playing with my old Johnson"
If I'm looking at the same kit, that one fits early (73-77) motors, which are different from the later 4 hp like mine. ck carefully before you buy. I'd recommend you pull the lower unit off yours before ordering so you really know what you need. some drive shafts have 4 splines on one end and 10 splines on the other, wile some others (later?) have 10 splines on both ends etc. it's easy to convert these motors to long shaft because that's exactly how the manufacture did it when they were new ;) .