Bought a new boat -- oh! the questions

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I just got a very sweet 1999 Bavaria 35E. There's tons of documentation/manuals on the boat, but wouldn't you know there are some questions that go unanswered. Like: the DC panel is not labeled...its all in icons. Here is a panel similar to mine found on the internet (not the exact one from '99). What does #15 (fifth down on right side) refer to? I've obviously tried flipping the switches and don't see what it operates. I thought maybe the macerator, but that seems to work directly without a panel switch from a pull knob in the lazerette. Hope there are some other German boat owners out there that know this stuff!

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
All of this could be worse. It could be written in German. My first thought was a heater. If it were a bilge pump it would have a pump next to it. But it does look like a bilge pump.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I thought it looked like a seacock, but can't see how that relates to electric.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I've been sailing on a friend's French built boat for a few years, I still have to go thru the panel switches one at a time translating "Pumpe du Poop" and "lights le cabin" to do something as simple as turn the nav lights on. If I was simple I'd be fluent in "boat" French by now.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Calif Ted......yup, I sail with a friend that has a Wauquiez. My French is pretty limited and doesn't cover arcane boat language!

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
The macerator seems to work without flipping a dc switch. Also, the bilge is wired separately to its own switch. This is starting to feel like a game show......keep hitting your buzzers, guys!

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Justin; the newer 300 series panel doesn't seem to have the same icon or even a suggestion as to what the strange pump or tank icon I'm trying to ascertain. But thanks for the post.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin; the newer 300 series panel doesn't seem to have the same icon or even a suggestion as to what the strange pump or tank icon I'm trying to ascertain. But thanks for the post.
That's what I was saying. All it says is some of the guesses are incorrect

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I agree with Ron20324 - looks like a macerator for overboard discharge of the material already in the holding tank (when your 3 miles offshore) - not the macerator on the electric head.

Les

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The macerator seems to work without flipping a dc switch. Also, the bilge is wired separately to its own switch. This is starting to feel like a game show......keep hitting your buzzers, guys!
The device, whatever it is, is probably controlled by another switch. The switch/breaker needs to be on for the device and its switch to work. Think of the circuit breaker in your house....you don't need to run to the basement to turn the kitchen lights on and off...

You could turn the breaker off, and then start checking things like the macerator.
Bilge pumps often are on a 3-way switch that turns the power off, sets it to automatic, or turns it on.

Greg

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I know WC is german colloquial for Water Closet. They say it, "Vow Say." It means the Head...