Bought a cheap PVC dinghy, can I reinforce the bottom?

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
OK, bought a brand new PVC Silver Marine 8ft dinghy, 5HP, 660lbs capacity. I bought it for it's light weight (61lbs) and is to replace my 2000 8ft West Marine roll up model, 50lbs.

When I initially looked at it, I was impressed by the sturdy construction of the air chambers, and I sort of assumed that the bottom of the dinghy would have the same type of material. I was wrong. The bottom appears to be a cheap, thin material. Even though my West Marine was lighter, the bottom appears to be made much better.

Still, I do like it, but I'd like to somehow "beef up" the bottom. Has anybody done this before? Can I spray something like flexseal on it for better protection, or would this just be futile and it would just dissolve in the salt water (I think I already know the answer).

Does anything work? Thanks!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
I built a 1/2 inch plywood floor to put inside the sevylor pvc dinghy I had, worked well used some foam insulator tubing to pad edges,(already have slot in them).

Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
I built a 1/2 inch plywood floor to put inside the sevylor pvc dinghy I had, worked well used some foam insulator tubing to pad edges,(already have slot in them).
Well, the inside of the dinghy seems to be fine. I was more concerned with the bottom.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I made the same mistake, you were typing "bottom" and I was reading "floor". I don't have any advice, other than to consider carefully both the compatibility of materials and adhesion when you chose a coating. Have you contacted the manufacturer for guidance?