Bought a 75 Cat 22

B_G

Sep 7, 2020
Catalina 22 836 Garyville, LA
Never sailed before but been wanting to for a while finally found what I thought to be a good deal the other day. Did a quick pressure wash then moved on to getting her off the trailer and removing the keel. I'm kinda jack of most trades master of none. The keel is in pretty rough shape currently in search of a shop in my area that can sand blast it. I will use this forum to keep track of the refit and will have tons of questions. So far I am doing pretty good with my list of to do's. There is lots of cracking on the gel coat from what I've read here there is mixed answers about the way to go about repairing it but I will get to that once the bottom is finished and she is back on the trailer. After removing the keel I found one small leak where the hangars are any advice on the best way to sand inside of it to prep for fiberglass repair?
IMG_2552[1].PNGAWFH1139[1].JPGIMG_2555[1].JPGIMG_2557[1].JPGIMG_2559[1].JPGIMG_2561[1].JPGIMG_2562[1].JPGIMG_2563[1].JPGIMG_2564[1].JPGIMG_2565[1].JPG

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Welcome! You've come to the right place for all things C22....stick around, study older, longer threads, many here began where you've begun, and most would agree we've seen plenty worse keels....cheers!

ambler

Dec 7, 2013
catalina 22 11619 Watauga Lake, TN
I refinished the keel on my 1983 C22. It was much worse - knuckle size nodules of rust all over it.

Stingy Sailor has a detailed 5 part series of articles on refinishing the keel. Check out:

have fun

B_G

Sep 7, 2020
Catalina 22 836 Garyville, LA
All the cool kids are doing it that way these days. :thumbup:
Must be the cool thing to do LOL. Before reading through all these forums I would've assumed it was correct. This place is awesome!!!

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
mine were right side up, put em back on upside down in error, all good, no clunk, sailed great......then it was pointed out to me as upside down, so I flipped em, (trying to be politically correct)....result was/is much clunk w/keel up in slip..............next keel drop they're going back on upside down!.....go figure!! (ymmv)

(funny, half the C22's and C25's here are upside down!....must be cool kids as Gene sez!)