Bought a 170

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Hey guys, I bought a 1998 170. It is in very good condition and has no cracks anywhere. The finish shines like new. I had to get a few parts and started reading this forum. All this talk about cracks and photos has made me worry about this fine looking day sailor. This is a California boat and I am hoping that most of the cracks are caused on boats in very cold areas. I am storing the boat in a garage and will make sure it is dry in-between the hull and deck. What other protections should I take? Just bought a new 2.5 HP motor and the replacement rudder for it.

mark2

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 18 Raleigh
If it has not shown any cracks in 14+ years I think you are probably not going to have any problems. Remember you are seeing a skewed representation here... people who don't have any problems are not posting! Welcome to the world of H170!

lokiii

Apr 12, 2010
Hunter 170 SLO
I'm in California also--San Luis Obispo. I have a 2008 I've had since about 2010. It's been stored outside in a storage yard uncovered for 4 years and hasn't had a problem (yet). I'm lazy and do next to no maintenance, just trailer it out, sail, put it back. The only advice I was given when I bought it was to not wrap it in plastic. He said many people store their boats outside with a tarp tied over it and that it would cause too great a temerature difference in parts of the hull and could cause cracks.

I have a few days off and the kids are back from college for a few days was thinking about taking it out tomorrow but a little bummed at the conditions here. Lakes are nearly dry and exposed and my usual spot, Morro Bay, has off-shore winds the next few days, which are unpridictable there and no fun. And a negative tide during sailing hours. Guess I'll go to work.

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Ca Boat

I'm in California also--San Luis Obispo. I have a 2008 I've had since about 2010. It's been stored outside in a storage yard uncovered for 4 years and hasn't had a problem (yet). I'm lazy and do next to no maintenance, just trailer it out, sail, put it back. The only advice I was given when I bought it was to not wrap it in plastic. He said many people store their boats outside with a tarp tied over it and that it would cause too great a temerature difference in parts of the hull and could cause cracks.

I have a few days off and the kids are back from college for a few days was thinking about taking it out tomorrow but a little bummed at the conditions here. Lakes are nearly dry and exposed and my usual spot, Morro Bay, has off-shore winds the next few days, which are unpridictable there and no fun. And a negative tide during sailing hours. Guess I'll go to work.
Thanks for the positive response. Looking forward to sailing her at Lake Tahoe in the summers with my 5 Granddaughters. Plan to name the boat "Grand Girls"

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Good luck with the new boat. I am sure that you will love it as much as I do my H15.

This is a great forum for the new Hunter day sailor owner. I found it a very helpful resource after I bought my boat. Make sure you check out the owner modifications section for H170/18's and H146/15's. They provide some great ideas if you want to 'accessorise'.
Cheers from Australia

Jun 20, 2012
Hunter 170 Chippewa National Forest Lakes
I bought my 170 for my wife's 50th birthday - we lakesale in Northern Minnesota, it sits on a mooring 5 months of the year when we are not in it, then inside a big metal building that is unheated. Gets to be 40 below several times a winter - often we see 3 or more weeks in a row where it never gets above 0. 170 is a 2006 model, purchased new, no issues at all with cracks, or anything else for that matter. Love the boat.