Bottom Painting the Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aldo

Is it possible to bottom paint the keel on a C-22 with it still on the trailer? My trailer is a Trailrite trailer about 1979 or 1980. I have the bottom of the boat painted with ablative bottom paint, (still in good enough condition to make it thru this summer), but the keel was painted with vinyl based paint. Also. if I can't get to the keel in the slot, will barnicles grow on it there? Thanks, Aldo

D

Dick of Sylvan

Paint your keel

Yes you can paint your keel while on the trailer. If it is partly hidden, you must first lift the boat about 5 inches above the bunks. This yu can do with a hydraulic jack, placed once at midpoint near tansom (with good padding), then blocked on the bunk. This will let the bottom of the keel swing down to expose most of it. If you wnat to do more, then go forward and lift forward of the keel again midpoint latterally, and block. This will let get to the 4 bolts that let you drop the keel out of the tunnel. Only do this with suitable lateral support to the keel, and use a floor jack carefully. Also, be careful that you don't twist off the bolts. They say use only 30 lbs. torque when you put new ones with washers back in which you would surely want to do if you get this far. With the keel now below the boat, it is a good time to check for wear on the pin and keel hole. Look in Catalina Direct for replacement parts if you need. At same time check cable at bottom of keel. You can then paint up in the tunnel with bottom paint too. This is strongly recommended especially if you are in salt water. I recommend one of those little sponge strip mop heads about 4 inches in diameter as a paint brush, attached to a dowell. Strangely, I just completed this job including retrofit hanger on my 1975 Cat 22 so I know it can be done. But it takes some time, perhaps a week of a few hours every day. My main problem was the boat moved a little sideways when I initially raised it which ultimately made realligning the bolts difficult. Next time, I'll be sure its all straight at that point. Also, I had to drive about 150 mi. round trip to get a machine shop to mill the new carrier to the right slot size. And yes, if you use your boat in salt water you surely should get bottom paint over all surfaces. All kinds of marine organisms might otherwise find a nice home. You should also put on new zinc's on the keel close to the pin assembly. to lessen corrosion problems. If you can find the technical manual put out by the Catalina Associationn, they provide most of the "how-to's". Good Luck, Dick

A

Aldo

Thanks, Dick of Sylvan

Dick: Thanks for your response to my question about painting the keel with my boat still on the trailer. I appreciate how thorough your response was. I have painted the bottom of my C-22 about 15 times since 1980. Last year I converted from vinyl paint to ablative paint, except on the centerboard. That is why only the centerboard needed painting. After reading your response, I lifted it the way I always did previously. I put 4 big (2 ton) chain winches in the rafters of a truck garage. Then the ends of the chains are hooked together making a "U" under the bow and another "U" under the stern. These chain "U"s are padded with carpeting and then 1/4 inch wood paneling. It worked OK as it did in the past. The hardest part was puting chain whinches in the rafters. They are heavy. I rode in a bucket to a front end loader to do this. I did find that I had put the center board cable on the wrong side of the roller last year when I replaced it. I didn't know that that was even possible, but it was. Thanks again for your response, I hope these your response and mine help someone else who is working on their boat. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.