Bottom Paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robbin

We are going to paint the hull this winter. The boat will be in a slip during the summer and dry during the winter. What kind of bottom paint would be best...ablative, or non-ablative? I read somewhere that when finished there will be nine coats of paint on the hull. What types of paint, and how many coats of each make up this total? Thanks, Robbin

Dec 3, 2003
Hunter Legend 37 Portsmouth, RI
Ablative, three coats

I would use ablative paint since it can be used year-after-year, Non-ablative paint should be sanded off and repainted each year - lots of maintenance. Ablative paint only had to be "brushed-up" or "activated" before it enters the water each year. I use three coats on my boat. A different colored (e.g. red) "marker" paint should be the first coat on a newly-sanded hull. Then do two coats of your regular-colored paint. After time, when you start to see the "marker" layer, then you know that it's time to re-paint the bottom. Often times you would only need to touch-up these spots. I have been using Interlux Micron CSC for ten years with no problems.

R

Robbin

First coat

Thanks for the info. Another question. Should the first coat/marker paint be the fiberglass sealer that prevents water osmosis into the gel coat? Robbin

T

Tom Ehmke

barrier coat and a VC-17 question

If you are going to apply a barrier coat over the gelcoat, that is a separate process. I applied a barrier coat on my former boat, an Oday 272, and followed up with the marker coat (black), and two coats of blue some years ago. It was an excellent system and lasted 2-3 yrs. with minimal touch-up before a recoat became necessary. Now my question about bottom paint. I bought an '83 Catalina this summer and the former owner used VC-17. I know that this paint makes for a smooth bottom and that racers like it for that reason, but how does it hold up over a season when the boat is not hauled and/or trailered, but remains in the water (gathering the usual bottom gunk)? I would like to continue to use it, but I need some advice since it is new to me and I don't recall any recommendation in Practical Sailor. Tom

Oct 26, 2004
- - Corpus Christi
VC-17 means Very Complete stripping

I can't tell you much about how VC-17 holds up in freshwater, but I can tell you that if you decide to go with another bottom paint you must strip the VC-17 unbelievably well. I bought a Catalina that was in freshwater with VC-17 and moved it to Texas. I repainted the bottom before putting in saltwater using Trinidad. We stripped the paint really well and still there were several areas that the new paint didn't stick well because of the Teflon in the VC-17. Interlux makes a VC-Offshore which has some copper; I've heard conflicting information about whether you can paint VC-Offshore on top of VC-17. Having said that, my boat had one full season in freshwater with VC-17 and was OK for slime. It's apparently really easy to clean because it's pretty slick. In summary, if you're going to change from VC-17, you've got to strip off the VC-17 very very well. Good luck.

Jun 3, 2004
- - USA
Tom -VC17 Followup

As long as your vessel remains in fresh water it just doesn't get any better than VC17. You'll see small amounts of "slime" on the bottom during late summer that is easily removed it a brush. It will last 2-3 seasons and recoating it takes under an hour. No build up, sanding, scraping ,.... and you have all the go fast advantages. IF you move to salt water and switch to another paint you have to remove ALL the VC17 and then I'd suggest Petit Trinadad.

A

Art Bouffard

Bottom Paint For New Boat

I've got a relatively new 26X McGregor -- has been in fresh water, perhaps less than a dozen times -- always taken out. It has a virgin bottom (no paint) and I want to leave it in a slip for the winter as we'll be doing some sailing. Question...what do I have to do to prepare the bottom of the boat? Do I sand, prime and then apply a sealer and then paint? What's the process? Appreciate any help you can give.

Status
Not open for further replies.