Bottom Paint

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Back in the Chesapeake
Finally finished sanding down to the gel coat/glass and started to put on the first barrier coat. As I was painting pin holes began to appear in the gel coat. They were not noticeable before painting or after I blew the bottom with an air compressor and wiped it down with acetone. Are they cause for concern or will the barrier coat, three applications, take care of it?
Photos.... Likely will get covered in subsequent passes. 3 applications? I thought 6 was the magic number... So you made me look up on West systems - what barrier coating system are you using?

1618605949122.png

dj

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Finally finished sanding down to the gel coat/glass and started to put on the first barrier coat. As I was painting pin holes began to appear in the gel coat. They were not noticeable before painting or after I blew the bottom with an air compressor and wiped it down with acetone. Are they cause for concern or will the barrier coat, three applications, take care of it?
I had thousands and thousands of those pinholes just thru the gel coat when I had my Starwind sand-blasted. I had the yard do the work so I may not recall exactly. We sand-blasted in the fall and waited until spring to apply the bottom. There was never any evidence of moisture and there were no blisters that penetrated into the glass. We faired the entire boat with an epoxy paste, I believe, to make the surface completely smooth. Then, we put on at least 3 barrier coats. I think the barrier will not fair those pinholes so you will want to fair it entirely with a thickened epoxy. It was expensive, but when I had a new smooth bottom, I didn't care about the expense.

Oct 26, 2008
Re-reading your post ... pinholes that you couldn't see until you started painting may be a different condition than I found. My holes were up to about an 1/8" diameter, at most, but clearly visible after sandblasting. They were also relatively easy to fill smooth because they were shallow and small. If yours are so small that you can barely see it until your first coat of epoxy is applied, I would tend to think that subsequent coats of epoxy would make them disappear.

Oct 26, 2008
What you can clearly see in your Photo 2 looks like what I found, so I tended to think that is what you may be dealing with. If not, how did you clear up all those tiny divots?

Oct 26, 2008
It's hard to know from photos exactly what you are dealing with. The white areas with the divots look like you have sanded down to gelcoat there. What are the whitish-blue blotchy areas in Bottom 5 that looks relatively smooth?

Aug 24, 2014
Aphrodite 101 148 Coeur d Alene ID
20210415_175303.jpg

Bottom 5 was before I decided to bite the bullet and do a more complete sanding. This photo is after its been completely taken done to either the gel coat or glass.
I suspect the brownish color was a previous bottom paint since it seemed "soft". Don't know if it ever had a barrier coat. It's a 1980 boat. It only had one prior owner but he was not big on maintenance and then a bit on the "thrify" side.