Bottom Paint Upper Chesapeake, Md

mytime

Aug 26, 2014
Hunter 2007 Marlow Hunter 33 Middle River, MD
Our new to us Catalina 30 needs a new coat of bottom paint. It came from Toms River, NJ and they included a new can of Interlux ACT bottom paint.
Will this work for my area? Should I toss it aside and find something better for the Chesapeake? We are cruisers not racers. Thanks

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Our new to us boat came from Barnegat Nj where we put two coats of Pettit Hydrocoat on her. Just hauled and the bottom looked like it was just painted. I really expected to see some wear or growth. The prop and shaft howerver were covered in Barnicles so perhaps I should have put the paint on more thickly there.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Pettit sells good quality bottom paint. The toughest bottom paint ever made in my opinion is Pettit Trinidad SR, which is especially good at fighting heavy marine growth in tropical locations. But you should not apply bottom paint to the running gear & shaft. The copper content will cause di-electric corrosion. There are several sprays that can be applied to props, but they generally wear off very quickly due to the wear from the prop turning.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Most in the far upper (brackish) Chesapeake are using Interlux Micron-Extra. The reason is its slime reducing/preventative agents; slime being the means for barnacles to first attach to bottom paint and then ignore and become immune to the 'copper' once attached as 'seed' barnacles.
The downside is its expensive and the anti-slime ability only lasts one season.

Nov 30, 2012
Catalina 30 St. Pete
We had a C&C 35 for years in Herring Bay, and we always had good results with Interlux Micron CSC.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We have ordered from bottompaintstore.com
and have had good luck with SeaHawk brand Sharkskin-rated highly by Practical Sailor.