Bottom paint over epoxy barrier coat

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm putting an epoxy barrier coat on my boat. The barrier coat is coming out really nicely, very smooth. I was wondering that when I go to paint the bottom paint over it if I should first sand it?

Thoughts anyone? Sand the epoxy barrier coat then bottom paint? Or leave the excellent smooth finish of the barrier coat as is and paint the bottom paint directly like that?

dj

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Read the instructions on the can of barrier coat. If you are using Interlux 2000E, they recommend applying bottom paint shortly after you apply the last coat of barrier so that there will be a chemical bond between the two products. Time and temperature will dictate the maximum overcoat time before you have to sand the barrier coat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
As Ted recommends... always defer to the manufacturer's instructions, on the can or on the website.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Thanks both. Found instructions on the website as nothing was stated on the containers. Two ways to do it, as stated above where you apply at appropriate time of epoxy setting to get chemical bond or sand set epoxy prior to bottom coating. Given weather, temperature and timing Constraints, I did latter...

Lots of folk in marina walking by saying what a beautiful job!

dj