Bottom Paint Opinions Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Our boat goes in for new paint in about a week. I have used Trinidad SR for about a decade, applied at three year intervals. It's "OK" in our fresh water, but we still get quite a build up of slime. Diver has to clean off that slime about 2 or 3 times a year.

I have seen some very good early reviews of the Pettit "Econea" paints. There are several of these in their Vivid line of paints.
Our yard will put on whatever I want, within reason.

Anyone here have some experience with these new paint formulations?

Thanks!

LB

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
Our boat goes in for new paint in about a week. I have used Trinidad SR for about a decade, applied at three year intervals. It's "OK" in our fresh water, but we still get quite a build up of slime. Diver has to clean off that slime about 2 or 3 times a year.

I have seen some very good early reviews of the Pettit "Econea" paints. There are several of these in their Vivid line of paints.
Our yard will put on whatever I want, within reason.

Anyone here have some experience with these new paint formulations?

Thanks!

LB
You will not get three years out of any Vivid product, that's guaranteed.

Apr 8, 2010
You will not get three years out of any Vivid product, that's guaranteed.
Perhaps "self polishing" and "ablative" are a clue that it wears away? I wonder at what rate?

Thanks,
L

Feb 26, 2011
Perhaps "self polishing" and "ablative" are a clue that it wears away? I wonder at what rate?
The Vivid line are amongst the least durable paints available. Very soft, very easily removed when cleaning (and they do need cleaning.) Around here they last about a year, typically.

Mar 13, 2012
Sabre 28 MKII Georgetown Yacht Basin, MD
The Vivid line are amongst the least durable paints available. Very soft, very easily removed when cleaning (and they do need cleaning.) Around here they last about a year, typically.
I've used Vivid since 2008 and it's not a soft paint. I've burnished Vivid to a racing finish. You can't do that with a soft paint.

Feb 26, 2011
I've used Vivid since 2008 and it's not a soft paint. I've burnished Vivid to a racing finish. You can't do that with a soft paint.
Pettit calls the product a "hybrid" because it shares some characteristics with hard paints but in the water, it is very soft and is removed very easily.

Mar 13, 2012
Sabre 28 MKII Georgetown Yacht Basin, MD
Pettit calls the product a "hybrid" because it shares some characteristics with hard paints but in the water, it is very soft and is removed very easily.
In this area Vivid is a popular bottom paint used for racing sailboats. Vivid is often burnished and is scrubbed about every three weeks. I have no complaints, and I haven't heard any, with Vivid either being too soft or too easily removed by scrubbing. Just last week a friend confirmed that the Vivid Free on his aluminum sailboat was a hard paint and held up well to scrubbing. He did complain that every three weeks he had to scrub very hard to remove the slime.

Perhaps there's a difference between the Vivid sold in California and its counterpart sold here in Maryland.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
LB,

I think I would walk the docks and ask around locally. Even here in Maine paints perform differently along this coast. What performs great in one area may suck in another.

For us West Marine PCA Gold or Pettit Ultima SR-60 have been the best performers, for what we want in a paint, but,that certainly may not apply to your area or use which may not include seasonal haul outs.

For me, having recently been through a 10k bottom job, I wanted a paint that was a SOFT ablative. I have found the Pettit Ultima line and WM PCA Gold to be among the softest haul/relaunch capable paints. In my experience, and backed up by both Pettit and Interlux, the Micron line is a little harder and does not ablade as easily as Horizons or the Ultima line. Pettit Hydrocoat was AWFUL for us and VERY hard.

Tim R. was over the other night and did the finger check on our hull and got NOTHING on his fingers from last seasons Hydrocoat. Looks like I have another four + hours with the green Scotch-Brite this spring before going back to PCA Gold or Ultima SR-60.....:doh:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Pettit Vivid does not contain "Econea". Vivid uses (ZnP) zinc pyrithione & Zinc Omadine. The March 2012 issue of Practical Sailor has a big update on bottom paints, observing growth across 30 months . Lots of new paints coming on the market. But you really need to know what works in your local waters, and for your sailing style. A rolling stone grows no moss.

Apr 8, 2010
Hunting the rare Econea...

Pettit Vivid does not contain "Econea". Vivid uses (ZnP) zinc pyrithione & Zinc Omadine. The March 2012 issue of Practical Sailor has a big update on bottom paints, observing growth across 30 months . Lots of new paints coming on the market. But you really need to know what works in your local waters, and for your sailing style. A rolling stone grows no moss.
While their Full Color brochure does not make this clear, I found a PDF on their site that confirms what you say.
http://www.pettitpaint.com/fileshare/tech_bulletins/Econea.pdf

Interesting, and confusing.

I may yet re-up with Trinnidad SR again......
:confused:
LB

Status
Not open for further replies.