Bottom paint in the fall?

Dec 13, 2006
Beneteau 323 Milwaukee
I sail out of Milwaukee. In the spring it is always hectic to get the boat ready to launch. Can I bottom paint with VC 17 in the fall? I store outside on a cradle. Will the paint be effected by being applied in the fall?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There is a time between application and splash listed on the can and it's much shorter than winter. Once it's been wet it's ok to dry out.

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
I sail out of Milwaukee. In the spring it is always hectic to get the boat ready to launch. Can I bottom paint with VC 17 in the fall? I store outside on a cradle. Will the paint be effected by being applied in the fall?
I have used this paint a few times. VC-17 can be applied at temps down to 50 degrees. You can also get away with using it in higher humidity. It dries very fast, so make sure you do not pour all the paint into the pan at one time. The last bottom I used it on was a 21' Carolina Skiff that stays in the water 365 days a year. It spends most it's time in brackish water. VC-17 isn't recommended as a salt water bottom paint in my area (fouling), but I have not seen any bad effects from using it. The last time I applied it, was about a 55 degree day, and we had the boat back in the water a few hours later going after Striper's in the bay.

I mix the paint, and then pour it into a 1 gallon plastic bottle and feed the pan as needed.

It goes on smooth with a 1/4" nap roller.

If the bottom already has a VC-17, and is in good shape, all you really need to do is give it a good cleaning before applying. But..... there are different types of prep work depending on what the hull already has applied to it. Just read the can, or go to the website.

I have used it on a few Carolina skiffs, and a couple other larger boats. I will be using VC-17M EXTRA on my sailboat in late October, or early November if I get the time off from work to put the boat on the hard

It is good stuff.

Last edited:

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
You can paint in the fall and splash in the spring. I have even stopped putting a new coat of VC 17 on each year and now repaint every other year. The bottom comes out of Lake Ontario in the fall looking pretty much the same either way.

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Boatless Boatless Annapolis
Painting in the fall is fine however over the winter it "will" oxidize.
In the spring you will have to reactivate it by giving it a lite burnish.
Use a coarse 3M buffing pad (by hand) and be sure to use protective face mask.
If you don't mind getting messy, wet the 3M pad and you won't have the dust issue.

Zed

Aug 19, 2015
West Wight Potter 19 Bar Harbor
Destin baby diaper rash ointment(40 % zinc oxide). Comes in 2 pound containers on Amazon for 20 bucks. Nice white color. PRACTICAL SAILOR says it works as good as the $200 a gallon stuff.

Apply with your hands, no mask needed. No diaper rash on your hands for months.