Bottom Paint in Northern Climates

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
In climates where one takes the boat out in winter, what paint works for this "multi-season" approach? Those in Maine, Chicago what do the yards recommend? And what works?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I (and many others on the Great Lakes) use VC17. Very thin, fast drying, works reasonably well in fresh water.

I apply every other year (no sanding required) and touch up any high wear spots on the off years.

Greg

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Charles,

Maine & Chicago are vastly different, mainly fresh vs. salt. Two different bottom paints.

Basic 101 Answer is: hard paints don't last when out of water for more than a week and need to be redone before splashing.

I am aware of VC17 with good friends in Chicago, and while many I've heard redo theirs every years before going back in, he has done fine without some years. He sails a lot of times a week, April to October.

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
+++VC17, Actually the west marine knock off, spring sale is about $20 less a quart.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_88-94 Ipswich, Ma MA
I use an ablative bottom paint. I used a brand called Bluewater for several years with good results until it was discontinued last year. This season I use Petit Odyssey and had equally good results.
I repaint every Spring as personally, I don’t think there’s any product that is multi-season.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
How about the salt water folks? For example Interlux claims that Micron CSC (an ablative) is multi season - that is one need not repaint every year.

Also do people power-wash ablative at layup time - or anytime for that matter.

Charles

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I used Flexdel UltraGard this year. I can't say it's been any better or worse that any other ablative paint I've used. We always power wash at the end of season. We never have anything worse than a layer of algae slime that can be scrubbed off in the water on a routine basis. I might go without painting next spring ... we'll see.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I've used Aquagaurd for the last few seasons here on the coast of Maine. My season is 5 months, June through October. The boat gets a powerwash in the fall and not much more than wipe in the spring.

The best part is it applies nicely. I use 2 quarts to apply one thin coat (roll and tip) before launching.

How does it work? As good as anything, and I've used much more expensive paint in the past. I think I did a multi season paint (micron) for a few years. I never got anything more than a uni-season.

Like Scott, the boat will have a thin growth at haulout. Lately though, it's getting thicker with a few barnacles here and there.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
In southern New England I've used either Micron CSC or Pettit Hydrocoat (not Eco) for the past 20 years. Both perform about the same, but Hydrocoat is less expensive and water-based, so that's my standard go-to. Long Island Sound and Rhode Island and Cape Cod areas primarily. LIS is the highest growth area I sail -- it's more polluted the further west you go towards NYC, and with all the discharge from suburban lawns and golf courses it's a very nitrogen-rich environment for growth.
Like @TomY and @Scott T-Bird , the boat will have a thin growth at haul-out, with a few small barnacles (especially around the propshaft and underwater fittings). It gets wiped by a diver at least twice during the summer season, usually around late July and again in August.
It's SOP for the yards to include power washing with fall haul-out.
One season I tried Micron 66, and it was amazing. No need for a diver, and the bottom came out clean without any slime. However, it was so soft it would stain any lines that touched it if they went in the water, and it is saltwater ONLY (it is likely to deactivate and lose adhesion to your hull if it comes in contact with fresh water even once, so no trips upriver). It's also very expensive, but that's offset by diver costs.
As for multiseason, I've tried it with Micron CSC and Pettit Hydrocoat, and I'd say it's "1.5 season": Even though paint remains, it is less effective in the second year. So I just add a single coat annually (not two coats).

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
In southern New England I've used either Micron CSC or Pettit Hydrocoat (not Eco) for the past 20 years. Both perform about the same, but Hydrocoat is less expensive and water-based, so that's my standard go-to. Long Island Sound and Rhode Island and Cape Cod areas primarily. LIS is the highest growth area I sail -- it's more polluted the further west you go towards NYC, and with all the discharge from suburban lawns and golf courses it's a very nitrogen-rich environment for growth.
Like @TomY and @Scott T-Bird , the boat will have a thin growth at haul-out, with a few small barnacles (especially around the propshaft and underwater fittings). It gets wiped by a diver at least twice during the summer season, usually around late July and again in August.
It's SOP for the yards to include power washing with fall haul-out.
One season I tried Micron 66, and it was amazing. No need for a diver, and the bottom came out clean without any slime. However, it was so soft it would stain any lines that touched it if they went in the water, and it is saltwater ONLY (it is likely to deactivate and lose adhesion to your hull if it comes in contact with fresh water even once, so no trips upriver). It's also very expensive, but that's offset by diver costs.
As for multiseason, I've tried it with Micron CSC and Pettit Hydrocoat, and I'd say it's "1.5 season": Even though paint remains, it is less effective in the second year. So I just add a single coat annually (not two coats).
I've used micron 66 in brackish water, but I don't pull it out. 3 years was not a problem for me. This is in Puget Sound so we only get a very thin layer of ice in the marina in the winter. I have also used Micron CSC with the same results. One time I tried micron CF And that was a big mistake. Within 9 months I had a beard that would not scrub off and had to redo the bottom. And that stuff was expensive at the time.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We used Micron CSC (or its precursor) for about 24 years on our J/36 in Long Island Sound. A new coat each season, with sanding beforehand to keep it from building up. This year our new boat has Interlux ACT. Both seem to work well, though we have divers clean our bottom every two weeks during the racing season.

Last edited:

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

My home sailing area is the Long Island sound. I like Pettit Ultima SR. I get years of pretty good performance.

The first year the performance is great - I usually go in the water is May. By July I do a quick wipe down, in Aug another, and a final in Sept. I leave the boat in the water over the winter (winterized of course) and then sail again the next season. By the end of the second season most of the paint has worn off and I need to clean the bottom every other week for Aug and Sept.

Barry

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
In climates where one takes the boat out in winter, what paint works for this "multi-season" approach? Those in Maine, Chicago what do the yards recommend? And what works?
Whatever product you choose, it should be an ablative paint. Hard paints typically cannot withstand exposure to air.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Whatever product you choose, it should be an ablative paint. Hard paints typically cannot withstand exposure to air.
VC17 is a hard paint, that gets mixed with a bag of copper powder…very popular up here on the Great Lakes where we haul out every winter…

And I repaint every other year…

Greg

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
VC17 is a hard paint, that gets mixed with a bag of copper powder…very popular up here on the Great Lakes where we haul out every winter…
You freshwater sailors sure love that stuff. Thankfully it is no longer available in California.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
i've used nothing but interlux Micron for 40 years. i get 4 years out of it on freshwater lake erie, maybe 5 if you sand a little and touch it up at year 4. . defender puts it on sale for $160 a gallon at season's end. i looked into VC 17 but would have to s trip all the old micron off then re do VC every year... no thanks !