Bottom of hull rudder post issue

Nov 15, 2014
Catalina 30T 5830 Green Bay
I’m getting a new rudder for our Catalina 30. In the process, I looked very close at the bottom of the hull/rudder post. See the attached pics. The surface at the bottom of the post is not flat. It rises toward the stern. From all appearances this is how the boat was built. The new rudder will have a thrust washer at this location, as did the other rudder. Is this non-contact area something to be concerned about and corrected? I will be repairing the cracks you can see around the post. Note: The piece of wood in the one pic isn’t really square to anything – I used it as a reference to a straight surface.

Any comments appreciated! I will be on the road for the next week or so, so if I don’t reply to a post right away, that’s why. Thanks!

Attachments

Nov 15, 2014
I believe the C30 rudder tubes are pretty much like ours: http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/techdata-rudder-packing-gland.html Water gets into the bottom of the tube up to the gland. Therefore, it doesn't need to be square, 'cuz nothings sealed down there. That's the way I see it, at least.
Stu - we don't have a packing gland. The tube runs straight through the lazarette to the steering quadrant. I don't think I stated my question clear enough, which is: The thrust washer will only be in contact with the hull for about 240 deg. Is there enough upward force on the thrust washer from the rudder that the lack of 360 deg contact would be a concern?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
GdP, I really don't know about the thrust washer, no personal or professional experience. Re: the rudder tube: what stops the water from coming out? Just curious.

Nov 15, 2014
Stu - the water would have to be as high as about 3" below the cockpit floor. The quadrant is mounted in a recess just below the cockpit floor. If you would look in the lazarette you would see a "one piece" fiberglass composite tube. The tube actual acts as the bearing. If I had a pic I'd attach one.

Apr 4, 2004
Catalina 30 Ladysmith
George, I think you may have more issues than you think. Our 83 C30 has and needs the factory installed packing gland at the top of the rudder tube, as indicated in Stu's diagram. Yes, it is several inches below the cockpit floor, but, experience has taught me that the boat squats when under motor. This forces water up the tube that will leak into the bilges if the packing gland is not properly serviced.

Nov 15, 2014
George, I think you may have more issues than you think. Our 83 C30 has and needs the factory installed packing gland at the top of the rudder tube, as indicated in Stu's diagram. Yes, it is several inches below the cockpit floor, but, experience has taught me that the boat squats when under motor. This forces water up the tube that will leak into the bilges if the packing gland is not properly serviced.
Thanks Echo - but I don't have a packing gland. I'm going out to the boat shortly (taking the winter cover off! Yippee!). I will take a couple pics in the lazarette and the "quadrant box" to show you what I have.

Apr 4, 2004
Catalina 30 Ladysmith
You're right, a totally different setup from our C30. Makes me wonder, why the change?

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
FYI: Here is an interesting pic from a C 30 that was being parted out & has the entire rear stern transom cut off. Shows pretty clearly how the average Mark 1 rudder assembly is constructed.

Attachments

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
WOW! That's a crazy photo!!! Such a shame it's a bit blurry. Certainly something you don't see every day. Thanks.

George, I've got an '82 and it has the packing gland as well. Just replaced the flax a couple weeks ago. I wonder if the tube was a mod for the Tall Rig....
Regarding your original question, my boat has a thick washer between the hull and the rudder, like yours did. I've never thought of it as a 'thrust washer' though, as it doesn't seem to be handling any forces at all. It simply seems to be used a spacer. I assumed it was nylon, like the two that sit up at the head of the rudder shaft, which help the bronze emergency tiller casting to glide on the fiberglass.
Now you've got me I wondering if my own should be inspected more closely for fit/function....

Nov 15, 2014
Hey Ely - anything I can do to make more work for you, I'm there! Why should I be the only on with tons of stuff to do?? ? New rudder comes tomorrow. May have a chance to test fit it this weekend! Hopefully without freezing my arse off, but it's not looking good in that regard!!