Bottom coat new depth finder?

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I replaced the depth finder on my boat with a 2” through the hull sensor. It is basically epoxy with a plastic coating on the bottom side.

Should I put bottom coat on that new sensor?
I’m in Minnesota, Lake Pepin (fresh water).

There are all kinds of warnings on the sensor not to put any type of solvents on it.

Mike

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
You can use any water based anti fouling bottom paint on plastic transducers. There is also a "special" pricey transducer paint sold in 2 oz. bottles. If you did the math, would work out to about $960 per gallon. Really!

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I wouldn’t bother with paint on the thru hull part of the transducer. You are in fresh water, and the boat is on the hard half the year anyway. It won’t get fouled in the way a salt water boat would be if left in the water year around.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
You can use any water based anti fouling bottom paint on plastic transducers. There is also a "special" pricey transducer paint sold in 2 oz. bottles. If you did the math, would work out to about $960 per gallon. Really!
Thanks for pointing out the cost! I was about to order one of those bottles for my new transducer.

It is easy to pull the transducer, wipe it clean and put it back in. There is a trap door in the through hull that blocks most of the invading water and a screw cap to stop the rest.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
It is easy to pull the transducer, wipe it clean and put it back in. There is a trap door in the through hull that blocks most of the invading water and a screw cap to stop the rest.
Depends. While the new 3 in 1 transducers and speed/temp transducers are removable, most depth-only are not.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
Thanks for the help. I won’t put any anti fouling paint on (at least this year). I just have to make sure the new sensor is sealed and doesn’t leak... (this one is not removable.)

We are going in the water this Thursday, it’s been a long season on the hard!

Mike