Bottom cleaning...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
I just hauled my '08 Hunter 170 out of the lake and the bottom looks very slimy. Anyone use a power washer on the bottom of their 170? In the past, I've been using cleaning solutions that involve a little elbow grease.

If I did use my power washer, I would be careful to not direct FULL pressure at a 90 degree angle to the bottom.

Thoughts???

Sep 24, 2012
Rodman Spirit 31 Singapore
Hi,

I have used a specific hull cleaner for this both with and without a pressure washer, check out http://wp.me/P2JILi-NM

Worked for me and damn quick, plus didn't harm the bottom!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer who introduced this boat for Hunter and outsold all other dealers, do not under any circumstance use a power washer on that material of the hull. You are asking for trouble.

crazy dave condon

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
As a former dealer who introduced this boat for Hunter and outsold all other dealers, do not under any circumstance use a power washer on that material of the hull. You are asking for trouble.

crazy dave condon
If I DID wash off the bottom with my pressure washer, it would be at a glancing angle with the spray pattern as wide as possible to cut down on the water pressure applied to the bottom. Following this procedure, would I still be asking for trouble?

I keep my boat moored in a fresh water lake all summer and by this time of year, I have a ugly slime coating under the water line.

Ugly cleanup any way I do it. Wish I had a hoist so that I could get under the boat better. As it is, I have to clean it on the trailer.

Sep 24, 2012
Rodman Spirit 31 Singapore
Have you used this procedure on a Hunter 170 or only on your Sprint 31?
I have used on a couple of boats before, as long as you are aware of how to use a pressure washer and it is not rammed up high enough to cut through steel you should be fine.

I have lifted and washed off all of the yachts i have raced on to ensure that the bottoms were clean, all with pressure washer.

This product is actually doing the work for you and breaking down the grime before you go at it with the water, check out the movie clip and see how it works

Jul 1, 2012
Catalina C22 Georgetown
All I can say is I have three different boat names permanently etched on the side of my boat from 3 previous owners who must have loved using a pressure washer. I would advise against it..

Nov 5, 2012
Catalina 36 Mumbai
A power washer is not all that bad as long as you use it properly. Don't point directly but keep it at a wide angle. Only thing is it needs to be used carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.