Bottom and zinc inspection

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
How often do you inspect you zincs and bottom paint, and how often do you clean the hull? When we were in warmer water (California) we used to have the bottom cleaners come once a month. Here, the growth is much slower. I also don't see the bottom cleaner services advertised. Is that service offered here?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You probably wont see it advertised as "bottom cleaning service". Get some local recommendations for diving services...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello Full Circle... Does that mean you lived in the PacNW then moved to the SW now your back?
I have my boat checked about 3 times a year.
Great guy Chris dives and changes Zincs as needed.
First year went 11 months between zinc replacement This time when he cleaned said the zinc was gone. So stepping it up to every other visit - say 8 months. Guessing there are some electrical leakers moved into the marina in the past 6 months.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
It is illegal to perform underwater cleaning of hulls with soft, toxic coatings (ablative and sloughing). You can face a fine of up to $10,000. (RCW 90.48.080, WAC 173-201A)

Your diver will probably tell you if yours is hard but be careful. A high proportion of boat (anti-foul) bottom paint is ablative.

Charles

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I check heat exchanger every other month. I check shaft 2xyear. Last set of 2 shaft zincs had 75+% left after 20 months. Just installed a zinc on the skeg last month during hail out. I also had prop and non-zinc area of shaft treated for barnacles

I'm in Everett now where it just started hailing. Got the primary fuel filter changed (I don't like the DAHL). Also installed bleader valve on the engine. That put lots of air into the system

Les

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
We are in a small marina with no electricity on the docks. Zincs last about 4 years if we don't go to marinas with power. Last year we spent a week at Port Hardy and a week at Shearwater,rest of the holiday on the hook, and the zincs were gone in 4 months.
Used West Marine Ablative on the bottom and got 3 years out of it. Three coats.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Every year, usually in May, my diver will scrape a layer of mussels off the keel, remove a few barnacles from the bright work, check the through hulls, spin/clear the speed wheel, remove what little is left of the old zincs and install two new light shaft zincs. Usually no hull cleaning is needed because most of the green fuzz will come off each time we cruise, which we do year around.

I've used West Marine ablative ever since we purchased the boat in 2002. Two plus coats will last about seven years; 2011 was the last time I did the bottom myself. My diver will let me know whether the ablative is good for another year. While he is down there he also checks for rudder and shaft strut play. That's my routine and it has worked all these years. So far so good.

May 20, 2016
I sweet talk my niece into doing it - but it costs me!! I pay the same $100 I would give to a diver plus, a dinner in one of the nearby eateries for her and her boyfriend.

Dec 25, 2000
I sweet talk my niece into doing it - but it costs me!! I pay the same $100 I would give to a diver plus, a dinner in one of the nearby eateries for her and her boyfriend.
She has a very nice uncle. My diver charges $65 plus materials (zincs).

May 20, 2016
John was telling me a similar tale -- I'll probably take him up on his diver, his is cheaper if no zinc's required....

Dec 25, 2000
Terry, who do you use?
Hi Mark, our Mukilteo Yacht Club has a resident diver that does work for us. A portion of his fee he contributes to the Club. Whether he does work outside the Club, if you're interested, I will ask.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Terry, being a long time Mukilteo resident, I would love to get the name and number of the diver.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I will give him a call and let you know. Who shall I tell him is interested?
I can't imagine any business owner objecting to having his contact info posted on a forum such as this, especially since you've spoken so highly of him. Why play middleman? Just tell us who he is and how to get in touch with him. There are likely other boat owners in your area who need his services as well.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
We live in S Florida, so we have to constantly clean our bottom. My son and I dive it every couple of months or at least once a quarter. Last time was three weeks ago, and I found three eating sized oysters on my prop, and one on my shaft. I never new they grew so quickly. my shaft zincs are lasting about a year between replacements. Bottom paint is almost 3 years, and looks like I am going to have to haul it later this year.

Dec 25, 2000
I can't imagine any business owner objecting to having his contact info posted on a forum such as this, especially since you've spoken so highly of him. Why play middleman? Just tell us who he is and how to get in touch with him. There are likely other boat owners in your area who need his services as well.
Ordinarily I would, but I wanted to verify whether he only dove for members of the Club, or was he open to nonmembers. He is more of a recreational diver as opposed to his livelihood.

Dec 25, 2000
Don, our diver, did his job a couple weeks ago and submitted an inspection report with his invoice.
- Bottom paint a bit thin in parts after six years.
- Scraped mussels off the keel and a few barnacles from the shaft and prop.
- Prop clear and in good condition.
- Through hulls clear.
- Shaft strut solid.
- No rudder play.
- Speed transducer spun freely.
- Installed two light zincs to the prop shaft.

Now time to clean the winter grunge off of Belle-Vie, then she will be ready for another season. She is chomping at the bit, so to speak.