Boss stereos sold by Defender

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
My winter project this year was fitting a new stereo. I went for a Pioneer DEH-X6700, it comes with all the bells and whistles that you mentioned and a couple more, Got it on Amazon at a great price.
My point is, after reading some of the very informative comments about power / watts / decibels etc, the bottom line is, do you really want to piss off the rest of the anchorage cranking up the volume. I am half deaf and only ever have the volume control around a 1/4, more than enough for in my cockpit without waking the neighbors. So power output isn't everything, quality of sound is probably more important.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
One thing I have noticed about the new stereo units with bells and whistles, they are huge power hogs as compared to older units. Expect power usage to be between 1 to 2.5 amps, depending on volume. At the end of the day, that can be a big chunk out of your battery.
If you use iTunes to manage your music and you want to use a thumb drive, look for a unit that supports AAC or MP4. The Boss units do not. There is a work around for that, but is time consuming to change all your AAC/MP4 files to MP3. Apple doesn't play well with others. Bluetooth will work fine from an iPhone.
I buy my stereos from Crutchfield on line. Much better price and selection.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Expect power usage to be between 1 to 2.5 amps, depending on volume.
That's correct although no different than my SONY car stereo that I installed in 2007, based on my Link 2000 readings. Have had this discussion many times before.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
For what it's worth, AAC/MP4 is not Apple technology. From wikipedia: "Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is an audio coding standard for lossy digital audio compression. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at similar bit rates. AAC has been standardized by ISO and IEC, as part of the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 specifications."

Apple licenses AAC the same as any other company whose devices play AAC files.

Jun 28, 2014
Oday 25 Arkansas
I read this with interest because my (un)used boat came with a Boss CD/radio. Have not fired it up.
The App Store for iPhone has a low cost audio meter for decibel and other functions by Performance Audio (good to tell you when you are too close at live concerts). An onboard portable battery powered Bluetooth speaker or audio adaptor for your system plus iPhone can give you a lot of music.

Jun 8, 2015
Oday 222 Tahoe
I have the Boss mck752wb with the four speakers. They will handle full volume without distortion. Haven't used the Blue tooth app yet.
Over tons has it $139.99 if you go online search the internet for a discount coupon.
It even came with an antenna. The oday222 already had the holes with an old kenwood and Craig speakers. All fit very good.