Boomvang mast fitting, Hunter 23.5

Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
Have been sailing my 23.5 all over the place without a boomvang as I do not want to use the mast raising pin to attach the lower end of the boomvang to (I did this on a previous Hunter 19 I owned and bent the pin). Poor design.

So I would like to buy and attach a dedicated proper strap-type fitting on the mast. Getting one that fits the mast profile is my question….all masts are different shapes. How can I find the correct (or best fitting) part for that mast?

David
Seattle

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I cant remember how much clearance is behind that mast pin, but what about some type of soft shackle around the pin and attach the vang to that. Or Im not sure if you can buy it, but if you have the capability to sew you could definitely make a 1" wide Dyneema strap, sewn into a loop. Use that with the mast pin. Sailrite sells the strap material by the foot. The pin is a good attachment point.

Also, there is a fitting that goes onto the mast pin that is for attaching the vang shackle to. Do you have that? I found it in the parts store (See post #4 for link). There are lots of aftermarket vang options in the store as well.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
This is the Vang fitting I was asking if you had: Vang Hinge Gives a little stand off room for the shackle to attach to. Using that Vang hinge I never had a problem with bending the pin when raising or lowering the mast. Just have to remember to take the vang off before lowering.

Also, if you dont have it already this it is a must-have H23.5 link for parts (but I always have a hard time finding it): H 23.5 Parts Store Link

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021
Hunter 19-2 Seattle
OK I can see that part. Thanks for sending the link.

But….

It seems like a bad idea to put that much force on the pin itself. If it bends….how would one get the pin out and the mast down back at the ramp? What about an accidental jibe….seems possible the force could bend the pin….???

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It does not bend the pin but there are some tricks to make it easier. Send me your phone number via private message and I will call you. Arthritis is getting hold of me. The only request is to try it out and report back to the forum what you are doing. I never share personal information with no one

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Call Garhauer. When I bought my rigid vang from them, they made custom mounting plates to match the profile of both the mast and the boom. They are very helpful and did not charge extra for the custom fittings.

Sep 30, 2016
The mast pin on the 23.5 is pretty beefy. And the width of the vang hinge is wide. I dont recall there being much side to side room from the hinge piece and the mast foot. I cant see how a jibe would ever bend the pin. It would have to shear the pin, in which case something else would break long before that ever happened. Regular use, you will most certainly never bend that pin using the hinge.