Boomless sailing 26S MAC

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
I am thinking of sailing boomless. With the foot conected with a cunningham to the tack and the clew sheet and block attached the rocket launcher on the stern above the tiller. In the picture the yellow life ring attache to the rocket launcher, think big U that is the mast holder when the mast is down for travel. The main sheet and blocks then would be out of everybodys way.

Attachments

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
A storm trysail is rigged boomless, sheeted to the aft cleats. Have to change working sheets just like a jib when tacking. Make sure the is pulled forward to the mast, not just down.

If you want the mainsheet out of the cockpit for good you could raise the boom and build a mainsheet arch, preferably with full-width traveler. This is usually done on much bigger boats so you may not get full standing headroom if you keep descent proportions. You'll have less sail area and it will be higher, but will probably sail better than boomless.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
OK, I don't have the credentials to be voicing an authoritative opinion, but I'm going to try to make sense.

It seems to me that attempting to sail without a boom will limit you to downwind or, at best, a broad reach. Maybe I'm just unclear on the concept.

In light winds, the mast support at the stern would work as an attachment point for the mainsheet, but I could see it getting bent pretty easily in a gust.

If the idea is to get the mainsheet clear of the cockpit area, I wonder if it would work to rig the mainsheet at the stern, like in this photo.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Removing the boom and traveler will make some difficult upwind sailing, especially with such a blown out mainsail. The major consideration will be clew reinforcement and modification. I would talk to sailmaker... Most beach cats and many larger multi hulls are rigged without booms now... but the mainsails have mutiple clew grommets on a plate that compensate for the missing outhaul (which is a very important control)...