BoomKicker on a CP22

Jul 28, 2016
Folks -

Put a deposit down on a CP-22 over the weekend. The boat is fitted with a Boomkicker rigid vang system - I have used these on boats in the past and have been happy.

During the test-sail, I noted that the Capri gooseneck is designed to rotate, it seems that there is some "binding" of the boom slide as the boom rotates. Anyone else seen this, and did you do anything about it? Or is it not really a problem?

TIA

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I recently replaced my old boomkicker with the adjustable one from Catalina Direct which also includes a part to stop the rotation. I have not installed this part yet but have not really noticed any problems/binding.

I shortened the Boomkicker rods by a few inch but was able to move the boomkicker boom attachment point further towards the end to get more leverage.

I like the fact the boom attachment points rests in a slide with 3 adjustable stops to define resting height.

I had trouble to raise the main sail with the fixed one.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Re: Boom Kicker on a CP22

With all the difficulties of the rotating boom, shortened rods, in-mast slider that got in the way of lowering the mast I gave up on using the boom kicker and went back to using a toping lift. It met my needs better. I am not a die-hard racer - more of a day sailor who participates in racing for practice.

I understand the concept behind the boom kicker, but did not find it useful in my situation. My boom kicker is now relegated to that pile of "stuff" that I tried but didn't like and is too expensive to simply throw away.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
You should give it a try.... I only shortened the rods as I wanted to use one of the already drilled holes from the old boomkicker using the furthest old hole as the farthest for the new slide....

Btw since I took the picture I switched around the boom vang again so the line to tighten leaves the block at the mast as you have better leverage to pull towards you instead of down when the exit block is at the boom.

Attachments

Jul 9, 2013
I remember from the "old days" that rigid boom lifts were prohibited for class racing.

Does anyone know if that is still the case?

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
really? how is a kicker any different than a good top lift (I mean its easier, but it does the same thing).

Sep 4, 2013
I'm considering a boom kicker, but for the reasons John cited I think I'll give a basic topping lift a try first. Essentially I just need a line run from where the halyard attaches to the head of the mainsail to the end of the boom with some facility for adjustment, correct? I see that Catalina Direct also sells one that I could upgrade to if need be.

Mar 11, 2014
The Topping lift on all of my boats has always attached to the point where the Back stay connects at the mast head.

Jul 28, 2016
I love having a rigid boom vang. That said, I am not sure there is a performance gain. It does keep the topping lift from chafing on the leech of the main. If you run the topper forward when not in use, it does the same thing, but then someone needs to re-run the topping lift to the aft end of the boom when you drop the main. When the air is light, and you want the boom to lift, the rigid vang is always ready to cooperate. It's a convenience factor for me, but understand that YMMV. If you have a loose footed main, I think the Boomkicker anti-rotation bracket, combined with the Boomkicker is a great option. If you aren't racing, and don't care about those kind of details, then the basic vang/topping lift is totally adequate.

Jul 9, 2013
I connect one end of a line to the top of the mast that is just long enough to reach that small extension at the Y of the backstay (that is used to hook the boom on while setting up). And use the reefing line to connect (loop on the aft end of the reefing line, plastic snap shackle on the fast line to the top of the mast) to the mast top line. Then the reefing line and cleat becomes the topping lift line and cleat. Really works nice for keeping the boom weight from pulling down the mast in light breeze.

Jul 9, 2013
The line that attaches to the top of the mast is exactly long enough to snap shackle into the ring on the deck at the mast/deck plate (for stowage when not using).

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
The Capri 25 has the same boom attachment...
Here is the whole boomkicker, with anti-roll attachment...

It worked, but it's cludgy. Not something I'd want to deal with if I trailered more than once a season.

Jul 9, 2013
I considered the boomkicker but needing the anti-roll attachment prevents us from rolling the main onto the boom when putting the boat away for trailering back home after each race (about 15-20 racing days per season with 12-15 launch/retrievals per season - so we're very entertaining on the ramp, both coming and going!).

Once we learned that the first triangle nearest the boom needs to be rotated diagonally before starting the rolling, allowing the seams and battens to be parallel to the boom, it is an easy and compact package stowed below.