boom

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

today I was out on deck of my 71 Morgan 35' sailboat... I sent my son up the mast in a bosin's chair to replace the mainsail halyard... afterwards, I was looking over the boom and saw the outhaul was attached to a steel cable the went into the end of the boom, but did not come back out anyplace... up near the gooseneck, on the side of the boom is an opening that takes something like a wench handle I believe... but the winch handle doesn't fit... does any one know what fits this opening and does this control the outhaul ?... any help will be greatly appreciated.. I do not have an owners manual for the boat..

sincerely
Jess

Dec 7, 2012
hello justsomeguy

that site helped a lot... I have the full 15ft boom... after inspecting it, it has 2 hex inserts ... 1 in the boom, and 1 in the gooseneck... the one in the boom controls the outhaul, and there is a button on the bottom side that releases the outhaul... the 2nd (in the gooseneck) is used for boom rolling for reefing purposes... I cannot find the hex crank to try and see if everything is working... I need to try and find a hex crank now...

thanks for the help

Sincerely
Jess

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

I cannot seem to find the hex crank for the boom and gooseneck... does anyone know where I can purchase one for my boat.... without the hex crank handle, I cannot tighten up the outhaul, or roll the boom for reefing the mainsail... I need to find one soon...

Sincerely
Jess

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What size is the HEX? Can you use the winch handle?

Smaller? If it's easy to access, wouldn't a basic hex tool with a ratchet work?

garyg

Oct 14, 2005
Morgan 33 annapolis, md
morgan boom

I own a 1970 Morgan 33, the fitting at the forward end of the boom at the mast does accept a special handle. The early Morgan models had main reefing by furling it around the boom. The handle is brass and notched to fit on the stainless extensions.

I can send you a picture of the handle if interested.

Dec 7, 2012
I own a 1970 Morgan 33, the fitting at the forward end of the boom at the mast does accept a special handle. The early Morgan models had main reefing by furling it around the boom. The handle is brass and notched to fit on the stainless extensions.

I can send you a picture of the handle if interested.
hello

yes I am interested in seeing what the handle and hex piece looked like... I am trying to find one for my Morgan 35... it is set up for the boom rolling reefing style, and my mainsail is set up for that type of reefing too...

sincerely
Jess

garyg

Oct 14, 2005
Morgan 33 annapolis, md
Morgan main sail furl handle

I will send you a picture as soon as I get my gear out for this season.

garyg

Oct 14, 2005
Morgan 33 annapolis, md
photo of handle attached ( I hope )

DSC00985.jpg
hello All

Today I Was Out On Deck Of My 71 Morgan 35' Sailboat... I Sent My Son Up The Mast In A Bosin's Chair To Replace The Mainsail Halyard... Afterwards, I Was Looking Over The Boom And Saw The Outhaul Was Attached To A Steel Cable The Went Into The End Of The Boom, But Did Not Come Back Out Anyplace... Up Near The Gooseneck, On The Side Of The Boom Is An Opening That Takes Something Like A Wench Handle I Believe... But The Winch Handle Doesn't Fit... Does Any One Know What Fits This Opening And Does This Control The Outhaul ?... Any Help Will Be Greatly Appreciated.. I Do Not Have An Owners Manual For The Boat..

Sincerely
Jess

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thanks for the picture of your boom handle... that will not work with my boom... you have a T notch in the end of the handle where it attaches to your boom... I need something like a large allen wrench to fit into the opening on my boom and gooseneck...

still looking for the boom handle ...

sincerely
Jess

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
Hi Jess,

Find a hex bolt that the head fits the opening, get a piece of flat stock about 1/4 X 1 X 12 inches. Dril a clearance hole for the bolt at one end, the other end take a piece of dowel drill it length wise and use it for a handle. Weld the bolt in the hole so that it won't turn.

You could probally use a piece of hex stock from McMaster inplace orf the bolt.

If I get a chance I'll sketch up something and email it to you later.

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

thanks Fred.... I got your email... I will give it a try next time I go to the boat...

sincerely
Jess

Dec 7, 2012
hello all

does anyone know what size hex allen the boom and gooseneck uses to fit... I will have to make a boom crank lever for mine... I am not near my boat anytime soon to size the opening for the crank to fit into... I have a friend who is a welder, and will fabricate one for me, but I need to know what the hex opening size is ?

any help will be greatly appreciated

sincerely
Jess