Boom Vang

Feb 5, 2013
Catalina 310 Warwick, RI
Has anybody installed a boom vang on there Catalina 310? Other boats with furling main sails have boom vangs so why doesn't the 310?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
How long have you owned the boat? We have the traditional main, not the in-mast version. But our boat came with a ridged boom vang. It's listed as part of the standard equipment on the factory information.

Feb 5, 2013
Catalina 310 Warwick, RI
I had the boat since last season. Ours has the in-mast main. We also have the ridged vang. I don't understand why not an adjustable vang?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I have hull #231 with the ridged vang, and it has the tensioning line running to the cockpit, factory installed.

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Something isn't right. I have A 2001 model with furling main and a functioning rigid vang ran to the cockpit. Maybe the PO removed the lines.

Feb 5, 2013
Catalina 310 Warwick, RI
Thanks...The only adjustment I can make is to twist it to another position. I don't have any lines to it. The PO bought the boat new. Very strange...I've always sailed with an adjustable vang. I want to change to the the type like yours but now I need to rig the adjusting blocks on the mast and boom.

Feb 5, 2013
Catalina 310 Warwick, RI
That helps alot! I see that the vang we have is NOT the correct one and that we already have the rigging on the boat back to the cockpit to handle it! I don't have to drill any holes in either the mast or the boom. With a furling main I'd rather stay away from any drilling into the mast. Is that a stock Catalina vang?

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I do have a furling main. I like the rigid vang for holding up the boom but our boat also has a topping lift for that. It is useful in many ways. Keeps the boom off the Bimini when I need it to.

Feb 5, 2013
Catalina 310 Warwick, RI
I agree...I have a topping lift as well. I find the main could use some better shape at times. My other boats had vangs. I had a Bristol 29.9 that didn't have a vang. I installed a vang along with a boom kicker. Worked well. I didn't need the topping lift to keep the boom off the bimini. The vang also helped going down wind.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You can buy blocks and line and make your own. One of the most cost effective ones is Garhauer.