Boom Vang

bnolen

Mar 3, 2023
hunter 25 Homeport, Palm Harbor
Just purchased my first sailboat, 1983 Hunter 25, the blockhouse edition. There is no boom vang. Is this correct for this year and model? Trying to learn all I can. Thanks for responses.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Not much information on this even under boat information. Take a couple of photos of the back of the mast at the deck and one other of the bottom side of the boom at least 1/3 of the way from the back of the mast. I am wanting to see if any attachments are there to attach a boom bang for example a boom bail

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
I had a '85 Hunter 23 many years ago, and I don't recall it having a vang....

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you want a vang, just install one. I personally can't imagine NOT having one. It is possible the manufacturer offered the vang as an option. Some boats in that size range, which were intended to serve as weekenders, were equipped with a lifting cabin roof (pop top) which provided improved standing room while at anchor. In the lowered position the cabin roof offered a better sailing profile and allowed for a detachable boom vang.
You can easily add one to your boat, simply add a quick release shackle so the vang can be quickly attached/detached for sailing and dropping the mast when trailering.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
Add one... it's a safety device when downwind in a breeze.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There is no boom vang. Is this correct for this year and model?
Don't get hung up on OEM build standards. You have a sail boat. Sailboats need control systems. A Boom Vang is a standard control system to help the skipper trim the main sail. I your boat does not have one and you want one, just study the mechanical attachments needed. The angles of pull to accomplish the task of holding the boom in place to adjust the main trim of the sail. You can gain knowledge about this by looking at other boats of similar size and sail design. (You want a sloop rigged boat not a square or gaff rigger.)

What do you gain or lose by the way you connect the vang? Be sure you use strong attachment points. Note you cannot just insert a screw then pull on the screw, you'll rip the threads out of the holes.

If your in doubt as to where to begin, take a leap of faith and sketch out a simple design/plan. Post it here. You'll get volumes of ideas to help you along with your project and you will gain a ton of knowledge about the problems and solutions. :biggrin:

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
The Cherubini Hunters were designed to a price point and were very basic in terms of sail controls from the factory, but easily accommodate additional controls.

I know that my H30 originally had no traveler, no vang and no cunningham. It does now because I added the vang & cunningham myself and upgraded the traveler a previous owner had installed. I actually chose a rigid vang and got rid of the topping lift because it frequently snagged the batten end covers on the main.

Add whatever controls you want.

Aug 19, 2019
C&C 25 mk2 Seneca Lake
Welcome aboard and congrats on your boat. A cool thing about sailboats are all the ways they can be modified to improve performance and utility. I think that year and model are less meaningful the older a boat gets, as one owner will modify for their needs and the next will do so for other reasons.

And like any boat that is 40 years old, there could be some deferred maintenance that you will identify and come to understand. But assuming it’s ready to sail and safely rigged, be sure to get out and sail as much as you can. :)

Once you start to understand sail trim you will appreciate having a vang. It's most useful downwind, to pull the boom lower - keeping a more efficient mainsail shape (when on a broad reach the mainsail leech pulls the boom upward as it twists, spilling wind. By applying vang, the boom is pulled down, flattening the main and removing some of the excess twist from the leech). Flattening can also help keep a mainsail (especially if it’s old and blown out) from chafing on the spreaders.

I have always sailed with a vang and I highly recommend adding one.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Apr 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Lake Michigan
I am having this exact issue with my Hunter 23.. wondering if I should install a mast step plate with attachment points centered for the vang, or should I install a mast bail with a thru-bolt?

I stupidly attached the vang to the existing aluminum mase base plate that only has holes on the side off-centered ... didn't loosen it enough before a jibe and it snapped off.

I dont want to put a point of failure into the bottom of my mast with a bail, but I also don't want to have to manufacture a part if I can avoid it.

I appreciate any insight!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@lakesurfsailor

can you take a photo of the existing mast foot and mast plate/step at the rear. Do you see any identification mfg. sticker on the boom or mast
The hunter 23 new came with a boom vang

Apr 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Lake Michigan
@lakesurfsailor

can you take a photo of the existing mast foot and mast plate/step at the rear. Do you see any identification mfg. sticker on the boom or mast
The Hunter 23 new came with a boom vang

Thanks for the reply Dave, my vang is seemingly aftermarket and looks like a schafer or west marine cheapo mini Vang. I have attached some photos of the mast which appears to be la rochelle and the boom which appears to be a Kenyon.

p.s. I plan to replace the in-mast wiring to the mast light which looks janky in the photos.

I sincerely appreciate the advice!

-Adam

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The mast is a Z Spar mast based on two photos, the mast step attached to the deck and the manufacture ID plate attached to the mast as Z Diffusion. I would suggest talking to the forum store and say Crazy Dave as advised a new mast step, retaining pin and bottom strap that is held by that retaining pin designed to attach the bottom of the Vang. On the bottom of the mast step you will find a model number

I need to know which boom you have. There should be a mfg. sticker on it. Photos of the sticker and boom. Make sure you post a photo of the lower part of the boom so I can see if there’s an attachment for the boom vang on the bottom of the boom.
Do nothing until you respond back.

ZSpar is now represented by U S Spars and contact there is Dave in Sales. Located near Gainesville FL.

• Helpful
Apr 11, 2023
Hunter 23 Lake Michigan
Thanks for that info Dave! Here are some photos of the boom. It does look to be a Zspar boom.
Are you saying there is a strap that can attach to the pin and that will take the load of the vang?

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Picture show the boom is Z spar. View 4 shows an eye for attachmentl Are there two of them one for the boom vang and the other for the mainsheet

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I have always considered a vang to help remove twist when the mainsheet cannot do it. In what way is it a safety device as well?
If the main gets too powered up and the boat starts to broach dumping the vang can depower it, hopefully enough to prevent the full broach.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It can be considered as a safety device in the sense that any sail control could be considered a way to adjust the rig to sail more safely. The vang can quickly de power the main. In the J World videos the vang release precedes the easing of spinnaker sheets to prevent a broach. 'Course that's a J24.

Sep 24, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Telegraph hrbr Thetis Island
I have always considered a vang to help remove twist when the mainsheet cannot do it. In what way is it a safety device as well?
It can also prevent a 'goosewing gybe" which can cause damage boom, rigging, and/or gooseneck fitting. That can't happen if the boom can't lift excessively.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I think the de-power setting for the vang is released. That allows the top of the main to twist off and dump air. The vang "on" is the power up position.
I know there are some on this forum that disagree. Might be an interesting and enlightening discussion