Boom Vang

Apr 24, 2020
Sabre 34' Annapolis
Good afternoon,

I own a 1978 Sabre 34 and last season the boom vang strap on the boom busted. The boom vang is a block/tackle type that connected to a strap on the boom and then connected to the mast collar on the deck via a shackle. In looking at the manual and on the internet, it appears that there might be a better way to connect the boom vang. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to re attach my boom vang? Should I get a bail for the mast and boom then connect the vang to that? Thanks in advance.

Apr 24, 2020
Sabre 34' Annapolis
Thanks! Is the mast hound something that is difficult to install? Do I just drill a hole 1-2" above the boot and install the thru bolt?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
First do you have a tracked or loose foot main?

If tracked or in a slot on the boom then a bail or hound will work. You can use tapped metal SS screws into the boom if thick enough.

if loose foot you can use a soft shackle and a strap around the boom. Strap holds soft shackle to boom and the soft shackle allows you to take the bang off when not needed.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Through bolting can foul outhaul/reefing lines which may be in the boom. So watch for that. I would go with the soft shackle idea if possible.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Do you really need an expensive, quick opening shackle for the boom vang on a 34 foot boat unless you're using it for a preventer... then I guess that might help. But...instead of using the static vang, preventing with nylon rope or rubber shock connector is better on the rig. If you go with a bracket and self tapping screws you'll be good. Don't forget to insulated the aluminum from the stainless bracket and screws.

Last edited: