Boom Vang Rigging

Apr 30, 2017
Hi guys,

How are most of you guys rigging your boom vangs? Currently I have the end of the line coming out of the block just leading straight back to the cockpit but it gets in the way since it's running straight through the companionway.

Thinking there must be a better way...

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
How I rig the vang on my Catalina-22 and my Capri-18. Easy to adjust, just seems to work for me.

Don
CATALINA BOUND.jpg
BOOMKICKER 003.JPG

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Why do you have such long line? Best I remember I have about 1' ---- 2' ft. max past the cleat..
Hershey

On another note: Photo's 1 & 3 show your exit blocks for the halyards from the mast...
Photo # 2 -- looks like they never were there. ?

Looking closer -- looks like 3 different boats.

Last edited:

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Why do you have such long line? Best I remember I have about 1' ---- 2' ft. max past the cleat..

Hershey
Came that way from CatalinaDirect. No other reason... Might shorten the sheet eventually if it bothers me too much...

Oct 11, 2017
Catalina Capri 22 259 Washington DC
All of the above mentions are correct ways to rig the vang except have the cleat at the base of the mast.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
All of the above mentions are correct ways to rig the vang except have the cleat at the base of the mast.
I had set it up that way first. Problem is it is very difficult to uncleat the cleat that way, especially if you need to hurry/single hand....and time (away from steering) is of the essence....

It is a trade off between easier leverage to tighten (having the cleat at the base) and time/accessibility....

Aug 22, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 45 Annapolis
I dropped the rig for the winter so don't have a good pic of how we set up the vang on .45. I basically have the J 22 set up with Harken Carbo Air fiddle blocks with the cam at the base of the mast. I attached a pic of the J 22 set up and the best shot of .45's vang. I use the 8:1 with a Carbo on a swivel on the boom. Pretty basic and clean. Boat had a boomkicker which I took off. We launch the kite out of the main hatch and thought the boomkicker could potentially snag it (again, like the J22 pic).

Attachments

Oct 11, 2017
Catalina Capri 22 259 Washington DC
Here is a layout drawing of my deck layout, I agree with Pat, I am using a modified a J22 layout. Big differences are adding Sea Hood, Thwartship tracks for all headsails, Rope clutches instead of cam cleats, Headstay stem fitting is removed etc...
layout drawing is attached

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not unless he leads the control line back to a line stopper. He is fine where his is in the pics. He can cleat or un-cleat easily.