boom vang on traveler?

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
I bought a Macgregor Venture 21 mid season last summer. It was set up with the mainsheet mid boom and a traveler at the forward end of the cockpit. It has no boom vang. With all the discussion about the importance of a boom vang in sail trim, I would like to add one. So if I add a boom van mid mast and move the mainsheet to the end of the mast, is there any value to attaching the boom vang to the traveler or should I move it to the back of the cockpit?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The base of a boom vang MUST be attached to the mast or its base, so its length does not change as the boom swings. This is possible because it then rotates in the same plane as the gooseneck.

This is fundamental to its operation and how it keeps the boom from rising. It's also the reason you need one; the mainsheet allows the boom to rise as it moves away from the centerline.

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
That makes sense. So would I want to attach the vang closer than halfway to the mast? Would their be any advantage to moving the mainsheet back (the original location on the Venture) to the end of the boom?

Nov 8, 2010
If you are talking about the TOP (boom end) of the vang, then that ideally would attach about 2x the distance that the vang base is from the boom.

All else being equal, boom-end sheeting is better. But other boat-specific things might play.Some owners might offer good thoughts.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You do not have to move the mainsheet/traveler to accommodate the vang. Here's an example:

The vang's primary purpose is to keep the boom from rising when it swings out past the arc of the traveler. It has other uses also... but you're installing it mainly for that reason. When the boom in close to the centerline...the mainsheet controls the boom vertically, the traveler horizontally. When it swings outside the arc of the traveler, the mainsheet takes over the travelers function of horizontal control... while the vang takes over the vertical aspect from the mainsheet.

Attach the vang's lower end as close to the mast's base as possible. The boom end attachment point needs to create at least a 30 to 45 deg angle... Jackdaw's formula is a good guideline..... just remember you're intent is to create a downward/vertical force... so too far out will not have enough vertical pull to be effective.

If you purchase a pre built vang... there will most likely be some visual installation instructions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=boo...5330-does-every-boat-need-a-boom-vang;250;223

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The base of a boom vang MUST be attached to the mast or its base, so its length does not change as the boom swings. This is possible because it then rotates in the same plane as the gooseneck. This is fundamental to its operation and how it keeps the boom from rising. It's also the reason you need one; the mainsheet allows the boom to rise as it moves away from the centerline.
Strictly speaking the vang can be attached to a traveller if the track is curved to match the swing of the boom, as in the Star class. Having said that, in conventional cases Jackdaw's point is right on.

Attachments

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
You are in the same situation I had with my first boat. The main sheet attached so far forward, that there was no downward leverage on the boom. 2 things I did, one was the boom vang, which I occasionally used, but what helps more was moving the attachment point farther back on the boom. I left the main sheet traveler in the same place, but the main sheet actually angled back to a point farther back on the boom. That ended up being very practical, as the leverage down on the boom was dramatically improved. Technically you only need the boom vang when running down wind, although you will find getting the main sheet attachment point back farther does a lot. Having the main sheet angle back did not seem to hurt the functionality at all, and actually improved the downward pull on the boom when running down wind.
Get yourself a new bracket for the bottom of the boom and rivet it on. That should be quick and inexpensive. See how much that does for you. Sure a boom vang can help, but just moving the attachment point on the boom gets you about 70% there because of the main sheet angle.

Mac 25

Nov 5, 2013
Macgregor 25 inland lakes in Michigan
I bought a Macgregor Venture 21 mid season last summer. It was set up with the mainsheet mid boom and a traveler at the forward end of the cockpit. It has no boom vang. With all the discussion about the importance of a boom vang in sail trim, I would like to add one. So if I add a boom van mid mast and move the mainsheet to the end of the mast, is there any value to attaching the boom vang to the traveler or should I move it to the back of the cockpit?

Enclosed are some pictures of the setup I have on my MacGregor 25.
End boom traveler, boom vang and boom kicker.vang and traveller.jpg

07-31-2014 009.jpg Hope the photo's help
07-31-2014 018.jpg

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al

Enclosed are some pictures of the setup I have on my MacGregor 25.
End boom traveler, boom vang and boom kicker.View attachment 83854

View attachment 83855 Hope the photo's help
View attachment 83856
looks to me like you already have a boom vang and your main sheet is at the rear of the boom now...unless in 5 years here i haven't learned anything

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
looks to me like you already have a boom vang and your main sheet is at the rear of the boom now...unless in 5 years here i haven't learned anything
The original post was JoeSailor seeking info on boom vangs for his Venture 21.

The pictured Venture 21 belonged to Mac 25, where he was showing his setup should JoeSailor opt to convert to an end boom sheeting/traveler system.

So, the purpose of your comment is????

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
The original post was JoeSailor seeking info on boom vangs for his Venture 21.

The pictured Venture 21 belonged to Mac 25, where he was showing his setup should JoeSailor opt to convert to an end boom sheeting/traveler system.

So, the purpose of your comment is????
hummm looks like i got the two boats cornfused thanks for pointing that out.......

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
hummm looks like i got the two boats cornfused thanks for pointing that out.......
heh, heh.... happens to me all the time, my friend. We ain't gettin' any younger.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 21 MN
I set up my traveler system on the bridgedeck on my Venture 21 as the original end boom sheeting system was unable to control the sail when sailing close to the wind. With that there is less need for a vang except when well off the wind. The vang puts tremendous pressure on the chintzy gooseneck so I constructed a much heavier gooseneck to take the pressure of the vang.

Oct 21, 2014
CS 30 norfolk
Mac 25 Nice traveler set up, I have always liked the main sheet as far back as possible for leverage, that looks custom, is it. My CS is set up so the Helm can not control anything other than the Wheel my traveler is cabin top and all lines let to cockpit so it works fine just not conducive to any sort of single handling.which was not my first choice in set-up so that's another consideration. This years setup will have a Vang and preventer separate from one another.I will add if the Vang is disconnected and used as a downwind preventer to the rail be sure to have enough line to gybe the main if you get caught backwinded, ask me how I know...

Mac 25

Nov 5, 2013
Macgregor 25 inland lakes in Michigan
Albrazzi

In answer to your question.
I made the traveler with over the counter parts.
Lewmar size 1 traveler kit.
Garhauen UR-1 universal risers
Aluminum square tubing.
There are brackets that attach to the bottom of the traveler
to the stern rail risers for more support, that are hand made.
The setup was easy to make and easy to install on the boat.
I use the boat 3 days a week, so I do a lot of solo sailing.
So I wanted the traveler where it was easy to use.
It was worth the time and money.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I'm completely confused. For something over 50 years I've been calling a block and tackle rig that ran from the boom, nearly straight down to the gene track a vang. Now you are saying, "The base of a boom vang MUST be attached to the mast or its base". What have I been using all these years, then? It certainly isn't a preventer, which runs outside everything from the boom end to the bow.
I know I'm old and behind the times, but I hadn't thought my 'old timer's disease' was all THAT bad, yet.

Nov 8, 2010
I'm completely confused. For something over 50 years I've been calling a block and tackle rig that ran from the boom, nearly straight down to the gene track a vang. Now you are saying, "The base of a boom vang MUST be attached to the mast or its base". What have I been using all these years, then? It certainly isn't a preventer, which runs outside everything from the boom end to the bow.
I know I'm old and behind the times, but I hadn't thought my 'old timer's disease' was all THAT bad, yet.
Technically you're correct, any line that is used to exert a downward force on the boom to control sail shape is a boom vang. That's the difference between a vang and a preventer, a preventer has no function controlling sail shape.

It is however in 99% of the cases tacked at the mast. Having it anywhere else makes it just like the mainsheet; its length must be adjusted when the boom swings if you want to maintain the same twist. PITA.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2012
C&C 24ft PORTLAND ME

My C&C 24 had a modified Crosby mainsheet traveler - see photo- which I was going to replace until I realized that a rail system would restrict access to the cabin or encumber movement towards the stern (if I ran it off the end of the boom). It worked fine except for the rise of the boom when the main sheet was payed out. I Installed a separate bail on the boom and attached a double block and a fiddle block with a cam cleat at the base of the mast. Works fine