Boom Vang mast tang

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
The mast tang for the boom vang on my Pearson 26 broke and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have information or tips on where I can locate a serviceable replacement and the best way to install? The old tang is mangled beyond repair. It was screwed to the mast with an odd assortment of screws which PO apparently had lying around, leading me to believe that he had replaced the original hardware.
Ideas I have had, unless I can find a replacement tang with the correct angle and curvature, are to see if I can find an insert to slide into the sail track (which runs all the way down to the deck) or maybe to install an eye on the deck just abaft the mast step, with bolts through and a backing plate. Funds are extremely limited though so the cheaper the better as long as it will hold up.
Until I can get a replacement part installed, I have simply tied the lower fiddle block to the mast. But that won't last.
I will try to get down to the boat and post some pictures later.

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You can attach a bail to the mast, or find a padeye whose base will fit in the track. Secure it with a self tapping screw in the track just above the padeye to keep it from sliding. For sources, google "sailboat padeye" and "sailboat boom bail". Do not attach it to the boat deck. Both these products come in various sizes to fit your application.

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
BOOM VANG MAST TANG?

Possible fix from Robert Lang?

I lost it before my boat was mine,

Searched in vain but never did find

Knew original part I would always lack

So I use HVAC Stainless Steel Strap.

Hey, big stainless steel straps used to connect duct work to HVAC units. I have P-31, and two straps hold through Holy 5hit type winds.

Jun 14, 2010
Seafarer 29 Oologah, OK
Thanks guys. I looked at West Marine for a padeye to go in the sail track per Joe's suggestion, only one they had on hand was 3" X 1" which is too large. I went ahead and ordered the next smaller, 2" X 5/8", and when it arrives will see if it works.

DougL

Jul 31, 2023
Pearson Pearson 26 Bristol Yacht Club
Thanks guys. I looked at West Marine for a padeye to go in the sail track per Joe's suggestion, only one they had on hand was 3" X 1" which is too large. I went ahead and ordered the next smaller, 2" X 5/8", and when it arrives will see if it works.
I know it’s been years since you posted, but I have the same issue… wondering if the 2” x 5/8” padeye worked.