Boom Vang and Mainsail Sheet suggestions?

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Time to replace some sheets.

It seems I have a 1/2" mainsail control sheet and boom vang sheet.
The material I have now is soft in the hand (almost feels like cotton)
I don't want to use the same yacht braid I used on the halyards and can't seem to find a "soft" material.
Any suggestions?

As always Thanks in advance.

Russ

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
NER Regatta braid.

It's a single braid polyester line that has great hand feel, lays limp and does not hockle.

Great for lines that go to lots of blocks, like main sheets of travelers

NER Salsa if you're feeling fancy

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Samson Trophy Braid has a "fuzzy" feel to its cover. Really nice feel, and actually grips the winch a little better, I think. I use 5/16" solid color for my mainsheet, 3/8" for my headsail sheets. Can't imagine that you actually have 1/2" line on your 22 footer. A smaller diameter line will run through the blocks a lot better....more than enough strength for your size boat.

As for your vang.... Any 1/4" general purpose double braid will work fine as long as it fits the cleat. I'm a Samson guy so I like 1/4" Samson LST for this application... besides being adequate strength wise, the smaller sizes are much easier on the wallet....

I like NE Regatta braid.... except that I think it only comes in white...correct me if I'm wrong. The mainsheet is pretty much left out in the elements so a solid dark color will look better over time.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Samson Trophy Braid has a "fuzzy" feel to its cover. Really nice feel, and actually grips the winch a little better, I think. I use 5/16" solid color for my mainsheet, 3/8" for my headsail sheets. Can't imagine that you actually have 1/2" line on your 22 footer. A smaller diameter line will run through the blocks a lot better....more than enough strength for your size boat.

As for your vang.... Any 1/4" general purpose double braid will work fine as long as it fits the cleat. I'm a Samson guy so I like 1/4" Samson LST for this application... besides being adequate strength wise, the smaller sizes are much easier on the wallet....

I like NE Regatta braid.... except that I think it only comes in white...correct me if I'm wrong. The mainsheet is pretty much left out in the elements so a solid dark color will look better over time.

Yea its actually 1/2". Factory specs say 3/8 for the main and 5/16 for the vang so I'm switching back.

Thanks for the info I'll check it out.

Russ

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yea its actually 1/2". Factory specs say 3/8 for the main and 5/16 for the vang so I'm switching back.

Thanks for the info I'll check it out.

Russ
Remember.... the "factory" specs were just suggestions... made some 30 to 40 years ago..... for generic cordage purchased in bulk.... The most important thing is for the line to work well through the blocks, imho, so you could actually go down a size with the vang and mainsheet, using a slicker coated line like NER Sta Set, or Samson LST.... result will be a more responsive adjustment. With the jib sheets I think you'll be happy with the feel of the trophy braid (fuzzy) 3/8.
Strength wise there won't be an issue..... but you can start your research at this performance oriented chandlery, Annapolis Performance Sailing