Boom Rigging for 1982 Hunter 25

Jul 2, 2020
Hunter 1982 Hunter 25 Frisco Bay Marina
I recently bought a 1982 Hunter 25. The running rigging is a very sad tale but through perseverance all is replaced except the boom rigging. I've looked at all the manuals on the website but nothing fits what I see when looking at my boom and mast. Rather than launch into detail at this point, I'll just ask, does anyone have experience replacing the boom rigging on Hunter close in age and size to mine who is willing to mentor me?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Are the lines still in the boom? Likely 2 reef lines and an outhaul, if the old ones are still there, you can pull new ones through easily enough. Post pictures of the 2 boom end fittings if you can.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I think you have a Kenyon Isomat mast and boom. If SBO cannot get parts try Rig Rite. However linesand blocks can be obtained from the SBO STORE. Not sure if SBO can get parts for Kenyon Isomat. How about that @Dave Groshong

Jul 2, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I'm new to sailing and bought a 38 year old boat. Its history is unknown and I have no idea what may have been changed over time. What I see at the aft end of the boom is a boom topping lift that is made of wire and shackled to the boom. It is not adjustable. I assume this is original but wonder about it.

There are three pulley type wheels that open to the top of the boom. One is empty but its existence makes me wonder if it originally had a purpose. The middle pulley is wire and hooks to the sail. From the drawings this is the outhaul and somewhere inside the boom it changes from wire to line. The line goes on to exit from the forward end of the boom. This seems straightforward but, before I pull it out while threading a new line in, is there anything I should be watching out for? If you were to guess, what kind of fitting accomplishes the transition from wire to line? The last pulley has a line that ends in a figure eight knot, extends through the boom and exits at the forward end. It seems clear that this is a reef line and pulling it out while threading a new line seems safe.

On the mast at the forward end of the boom is an 18 inch "rail" and boom is shackled at the top end of the rail. There is no vang. My only question here is whether this is as it should be.

I know this got long and for that I apologize.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
As you said, the middle pulley is the mainsail outhaul cable. It connects with a splice around a thimble to a rope line through a block and tackle set up in the boom. The line comes out of the boom near a cleat at the bottom, forward end of the boom. There are drawings somewhere of the block and tackle rig. Ours has lasted 43 years, and since it‘s not broken too bad, I’m not going to fix it too much! (Actually, it still works fine. Wet, salt, and sun are the enemies of lines, and the outhaul is pretty well protected from all three.)

The two outer pulleys are both for reefing lines. They both run straight from their pulley to an exit and clamp cleats on the same side of the forward end of the boom. On our ‘77 h27, they are strung through the first and third reefs on the main, then down to the boom where they attach with a loop, and a bowline.

Jul 2, 2020
As you said, the middle pulley is the mainsail outhaul cable. It connects with a splice around a thimble to a rope line through a block and tackle set up in the boom. The line comes out of the boom near a cleat at the bottom, forward end of the boom. There are drawings somewhere of the block and tackle rig. Ours has lasted 43 years, and since it‘s not broken too bad, I’m not going to fix it too much! (Actually, it still works fine. Wet, salt, and sun are the enemies of lines, and the outhaul is pretty well protected from all three.)

The two outer pulleys are both for reefing lines. They both run straight from their pulley to an exit and clamp cleats on the same side of the forward end of the boom. On our ‘77 h27, they are strung through the first and third reefs on the main, then down to the boom where they attach with a loop, and a bowline.
David, Thanks much for the reply. It is extremely helpful, especially the part about the block and tackle. You have saved me from blundering into a situation for which there might be no solution.