Boom makes annoying grinding sounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2011
Beneteau 331 Penetanguishine
Without sails up and taking waves directly to beam, lots of metal on metal noise is created.
Have tried:
1) cranking in boom vang and main sheet to stabilize
2)WD-40 in boom goose neck
Can't quite make out exact location of this noise pollution!!
Any thoughts?
Greg
Rocket Lawnchair
B-331

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
Grindy noise

I had a noise... on my B31 it came from the boom slides holding the mainsail cover! It made quite a racket. A bit of grease and tightening the lazy jack lines did it.
Pierre

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Try using a spray lube like McLube or any other made for boats rather than WD40 on the gooseneck. Make sure you get it into every nook and cranny. WD40 is great stuff but the marine environment sometimes calls for a different lube. Also put a bit on the contact points on the shackles on the underside of the boom. Don't forget to check any pivot points on the vang as well. My money is on the gooseneck but it's a good idea to lubricate any and all wear/friction points as good general maintenance.

Jul 28, 2010
Beneteau 331 Collingwood
Had a similar issue on a B461 this winter in the BVIs. Easy solution - the skipper would tie the boom off at night to one of the cleats. Result - Annoying noises in the middle of the night went away.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
A strong possibility is the innards of the vang which is spring loaded. as the boom swings from side to side with no sail load counteracting the vang, a creaking sound can result simply because the length of the vang itself changes ever so slightly as the boom crosses the centerline from each side.

I found this to be the culprit on my 323. By putting tension on the mainsheet. and tying a line from the base of the boom to a lifeline stanchion on each side of the boat, I was able to eliminate the noise.

Apr 30, 2010
beneteau 331 victoria
I had this same squeak, inside the rigid boom vang is a coil spring that is grinding against the aluminum tube - it needs lubrication. remove the vang, unsrew the small set screw on the plstic retaining collar, the whole thing comes apart, two tubes, one spring. Clean the salt crud, lube them with a white lithium grease (or anything you have).

problem solved!

gord

May 9, 2006
Beneteau 373 Mystic, CT
Greg;

On my 373 with the Charleston Spars mainsail furler, I eliminated most of the noise by inserting thin nylon washers where possible at the horizontal and vertical pins. Significant improvement and have lasted for 5 seasons.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Try using a spray lube like McLube or any other made for boats rather than WD40 on the gooseneck.
+1

McLube. I know hard core racers that shower in that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.