Boom Kicker

Apr 10, 2013
Catalina 22 Toronto
I have a Catalina 22 Fixed Keel.

I am considering purchasing a Boom Kicker through the Catalina store.

Has anyone purchased and installed a Boom Kicker on their Catalina 22?
If so, any reviews or advice would be very helpful

Charles Steven Trenholme
'Halcyon Daze'
TSCC - Toronto, Canada

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Not on a Catalina, but had one on my Hunter 23.5, and moved it to my Seaward 25, when we got it. The boomkicker was one of the most useful things we purchased. Highly recommended.

Feb 17, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Lower Salford, PA / Tolchester,MD marina
I purchased my Boomkicker from this site several years ago.

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
I put one on my H23. Its great. I have pictures of it in my profile. Hope this helps

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I presume that even with a boom kicker installed that one would still require a topping lift or a pigtail on the back stay for stabilizing or storing the boom when the sail is down? Is that true? Especially if you have a boom tent installed.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
We used one on our O'Day 23. Did not have a topping lift. I would highly recommend one.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
I presume that even with a boom kicker installed that one would still require a topping lift or a pigtail on the back stay for stabilizing or storing the boom when the sail is down? Is that true? Especially if you have a boom tent installed.
Nope. Tighten your main sheet and traveler if you have one. If you use a tent, it will center the boom. Tent tie downs will hold everything in place.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
That's good to know. I would have expected the boom to be "bouncy" without additional support. I'll add this to my list of potential upgrades.

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
Fred, I only use the topping lift in my slip. Its not nessasary but thats just me.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Just came back from my first sail with my new boomkicker. Sure is nice being rid of the topping lift and having more control of the boom! I am impressed by how stiff it is at anchor without the topping lift. Installation was a breeze. I opted for the K800 model which seems to fit perfectly. Thanks for the encouragement to proceed with this upgrade!

Attachments