Boom kicker

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
I sail solo and I'm concerned about raising the main with the pigtail attached until I get back to the cockpit. Tarkus doesn't seem to point into the wind for long. I wanted to ask if a boom kicker from CD will actually hold the boom up once I disconnect pigtail. Thx

Rillo

Apr 21, 2019
Catalina C22 Bear Lake
Will absolutely hold up the boom and then some. Mine easily holds up the boom when loaded with a completely furled main and sail cover. Use the vang to tighten the leech or let out the vang to lift the boom on light wind days. I have been very happy with this addition to my C22. No topping lift required. No boom in the cockpit when reefing.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Wasnt there a DIY thread somewhere on making one what was easily removable for pop top use ?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
My Selden rigid vang with rodkicker (piston) installed (really necessary IMHO) is so strong I MUST use the mechanical advantage of my block and tackle to pull the boom down. Its that strong. I still keep my topping lift to use for other things - its come in very handy on many occasions. But you don't have to store it attached to the end of the boom anymore since it serves no purpose there.

Tarkus

May 22, 2020
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Thanks all for the advice. Ordered a kicker today. Should i still use the pigtail when not sailing to take any strain off the kicker?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks all for the advice. Ordered a kicker today. Should i still use the pigtail when not sailing to take any strain off the kicker?
I wouldn't. Just one thing that might foul you up if you forget to disconnect it. Be sure the mainsheet is secure so the boom doesn't swing .

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
My Selden rigid vang with rodkicker (piston) installed (really necessary IMHO) is so strong I MUST use the mechanical advantage of my block and tackle to pull the boom down. Its that strong. I still keep my topping lift to use for other things - its come in very handy on many occasions. But you don't have to store it attached to the end of the boom anymore since it serves no purpose there.
The issue I've seen on boats with the hard vangs, is the boom is unstable until the mainsheet is tensioned against the topping lift, or alternatively against the main halyard brought aft to the end of the boom. If you have crew flaking the main and working the sail cover, without the boom tightly secured with lift/mainsheet, then you risk someone tumbling off the cabintop.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
The issue I've seen on boats with the hard vangs, is the boom is unstable until the mainsheet is tensioned against the topping lift, or alternatively against the main halyard brought aft to the end of the boom. If you have crew flaking the main and working the sail cover, without the boom tightly secured with lift/mainsheet, then you risk someone tumbling off the cabintop.
I'm curious why you see that as an issue with hard vangs? Failing to tension the mainsheet with either the hard vang or the topping lift supporting the boom will make the boom laterally unstable.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I totally agree with this comment... Use the main halyard to hold up the boom's end, with the mainsheet opposing it to keep things stable. If you have a pop top, you can now disconnect the vang. Get a pair of wire cutters and clip that stupid pigtail off. You don't want it. You can leave the topping lift connected to the mast, but since you won't use it anymore, disconnect it from the boom and wrap it around the backstay where it's out of the way. Anyway, you'll like using the halyard as mentioned because it won't slap around and annoy your neighbors like it did when you stored it at the mast. Now that I've mentioned it.... store your other halyards away from the mast also... either clipped to the pulpit, life line or flipped around the spreaders.... then you'll have a marina friendly vessel.