Boom kicker roll stop

Jan 30, 2014
I talked to them on the phone and Dave told me their smallest one was still too long.he did say he was getting requests from cp22 owners about it. I asked him to make me a custom one, he said it would never work right with the small dimensions.
He recommended the kicker saying it is a great alternative.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Good to know.

I do know of others who have used rigid vangs on the Capri 25 (the same boom dimensions as the Capri 22)... but I haven't heard of anyone who said it was a good choice, perhaps that is why!

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Tom you convinced me...
Ordered the package from Catalina Direct... Roll stop, kicker and all the stuff with it.

I also ordered another couple turnbuckles and velcro straps. It's handy having that place as a one stop shop...

Jan 30, 2014
I found it to be a very easy install.you can position the kicker brackets to however much boom lift you want. I will post some pic's of everything I've done to my boat when I get a chance to obtain a flicker account.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
Tom, looking forward to your pictures. You don't need a Flickr account to post here. You can upload photos as attachments using the "Upload attachment" tab below the message box (i.e., the box I'm typing in now). I believe there is a size limitation, but that's how I've been attaching things to previous posts including photos.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Ok, I got my boomkicker in... and the KIT that supposedly is designed for the Capri 25/22, and Catalina 250 with the lip on the bottom of the boom.

What I got were 2 black starboard pieces (flat, about 5 inches long, and 1/2" thick, and 1" high)... they presumably are to slap on either side of the lip.

Anyone know how I am supposed to secure this piece to the boom?

What I am getting at is, I need a picture of someone who installed the shims for this boomkicker so I can see how it's supposed to be used.
I am looking now, maybe the lip is large enough to place the bolts directly through the bottom of the lip as I thought. I suppose then that I will still need to bolt the shims against either side of the boom (something to hold them in place).

Jul 2, 2013
They are not mechanically attached to the boom. They are held in place once you tighten the screws underneath. I installed the the aluminum bracket without the shims. Then when it's all set, loosen the screws, slide the shims in place, and retighten. I called Boomkicker back when I did mine a few years ago with questions including that one.

How far did you have to move the boom vang? Mine rubs along the boomkicker bracket, but I didn't want to push it any further out, as it's less effective pulling downward as it is.

Attachments

Jul 17, 2013
shnool said:
Ok, I got my boomkicker in... and the KIT that supposedly is designed for the Capri 25/22, and Catalina 250 with the lip on the bottom of the boom.

What I got were 2 black starboard pieces (flat, about 5 inches long, and 1/2" thick, and 1" high)... they presumably are to slap on either side of the lip.

Anyone know how I am supposed to secure this piece to the boom?

What I am getting at is, I need a picture of someone who installed the shims for this boomkicker so I can see how it's supposed to be used.
I am looking now, maybe the lip is large enough to place the bolts directly through the bottom of the lip as I thought. I suppose then that I will still need to bolt the shims against either side of the boom (something to hold them in place).
Further to what Mattw79 said, I did the same except I added a couple of dobs of 3M5200 to each shim as well.

Charlie

May 16, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 IL
Mattw79 said:
They are not mechanically attached to the boom. They are held in place once you tighten the screws underneath. I installed the the aluminum bracket without the shims. Then when it's all set, loosen the screws, slide the shims in place, and retighten. I called Boomkicker back when I did mine a few years ago with questions including that one.

How far did you have to move the boom vang? Mine rubs along the boomkicker bracket, but I didn't want to push it any further out, as it's less effective pulling downward as it is.
Total change of topic here... how do you like the speakers in the location by the traveler? Do you hear them at all down below?

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Matt, did you put the bolts directly through the lip vertically then?

Jul 2, 2013
shnool said:
Matt, did you put the bolts directly through the lip vertically then?
Yes, I installed the bolts vertically per the instructions. This picture is when I did my dry fit to make sure I had everything where I wanted. I only drilled and installed one bolt in the boom initially to make sure I had it where I wanted it. Then I reassembled, added the shims, and blue locktite to the screws. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what length to cut the rods. In the end, I had to go shorter than what was recommended in the directions to get the proper angle. If I didn't shorten it, the upward pressure was way too high. The boomkicker rep said what I did was fine. They suggest that when the boom is level supporting a flaked sail, it should take about 10#'s of force to push it down from the end of the boom. And that's what I got after I cut the rods down to 26 1/2".

On another note, while on the boomkicker website, I saw a link to rolling boom bails like you were talking about on another thread. Check it out:
http://www.seoladair.com/rollingbails/index.html

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Bolts straight up... done

Pretty sure I need to shorten up the rods a bit... that seems like too much flex. That's with full on vang and mainsheet, so that's max flex.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Oh if you look real hard in the last picture I have the roll stop installed. I'm going to shorten the rods about 1 inch..
The trick to the roll stop was to put the screws into the boom end first, then put the bolt in to the slide in the mast groove... It definitely keeps the boom from rolling.

Jul 2, 2013
shnool said:
Oh if you look real hard in the last picture I have the roll stop installed. I'm going to shorten the rods about 1 inch..
The trick to the roll stop was to put the screws into the boom end first, then put the bolt in to the slide in the mast groove... It definitely keeps the boom from rolling.
That's the best way to get it in place. In fact, I've never taken the straps off the boom since I installed it two years ago.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
Just an update, I cut both fiberglass rods, about the same amount as was under the bracket itself, what's that? 1.5" or so? The amount of upward force seems to have dropped dramatically. I am still not sure I like the amount of upward force I have, still might be a bit high.

I have our first race Sunday (a real yawner it's turning out to be with winds 3-6mph)... Anyway, I know the kicker will help to power up (open/twist) the main when it's light... but I think I need to add just a slight more amount of vang (mine is 3:1 now, might go to 4:1).... Vang adjustment will be MUCH more critical I can tell.

I'll report back more when I get a race under my belt in light air.