Boom kicker roll stop

Jan 30, 2014
Question on the roll stop bracket supplyed by Catalina Direct.
Does the whole bracket slide up and down in the luff grove or do you tighten it up and just let the 2 small arms that reach up to the boom pivot when the boom raises and lowers.
Also the pad eye and cheek block seem to be in the way when locating the position to make the connection for the 2 roll stop arms.

Jul 2, 2013
I tighten the screws where it connects to the luff groove, but it would still function fine if they were loose. The bracket wouldn't really move freely in the luff groove if you kept it loose because the load from the straps isn't vertical. It would bind and stay in place. So I keep it tight so it won't rattle around. But if I trailer sailed, i'd leave it loose to save a step when rigging.

You're right about the interference with the cheek block. So I took it off and used the same hole to attach the block and bracket. On the other side, the pad eye just cleared. Here are the pics from both sides.

Attachments

Jan 30, 2014
Thanks for the pics, just finished the install, works great,the kicker seems to have good up lift power.
can't wait to actually use it.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Love to see the completed picture...
I've got the CD complete boomkicker setup slated for my Capri 25 (which has the exact same boom setup).

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
You'd need a flicker account or something similar...
then you can click on the IMG link and embed the picture (put the web address to the picture in between the tags)

May 3, 2008
Catalina Capri 22 Half Moon Bay
Why does the boom-kicker necessitate this anti-roll thing?
Isn't it just a fiberglass rod that sits between the mast step and the boom?

Jan 30, 2014
On the performance package booms they are on a pivot at the goose neck, the upward thrust of the 2 rods on the kicker is causes the boom to roll because the it is not a even amount of up pressure hence the rolling action of the boom.
That's the only way i can explain it,maybe there is a real smart guy out their that has a better explanation.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
FWIW, I've never seen the point of the anti-roll device, but I also run a loose footed main. If I had a bolt rope running through the channel on the boom I'd probably need it though.

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
OK that leads me to ask yet another question...
Many of us have the older boom configuration (without a bail) Like this...

This leaves a shackle that twists when the mainsheet is eased. It's not the sail that is twisting it.
Chris, you said you DO have a bail on yours.
So is it you contention that since you have a bail, and a loose foot main (which is what all newer sails seem to have), that you don't need the roll stop?

I take it then you DO have the rotating boom, and of course a kicker, but have a loose foot main and a bail, so you don't need the roll stop?

Again, I am just trying to make this clear so I can get it through my thick head. I've been considering the Catalina direct boom kicker (at over $200) only because it comes with the roll stop. I can find the equivalent kicker for $130 without the roll stop (or the chocks to lock it to the lip at the bottom of the boom). I'd rather save the $70+ just want to make sure I am hearing correctly.

I'd add that it's my intention to replace the shackle with a bail too on my boom. You know something like this ($25):

As an alternative, I'd be willing to find a goosneck end casting for my boom that doesn't swivel... This is the only one I have seen (in retrospect that fixed goose looks home made, and has a bolt, instead of a nice pin, to hold it in place):

Cause my boom gooseneck casting looks like this (where the silver end swivels 360):

Because this is how the whole shebang is rigged now...

Jan 30, 2014
I have thought about all of that stuff,CD has done all the homework on this and has offered a real nice solution.By the time you hassel with finding all those other parts and try to make it work the cost saving disappears.
After refitting 2 other boats in the past by trying to save money and invent all kinds of this and that i welcome CD doing the work for me.
Just my 2 cents

May 3, 2008
Mine (Mk II) has the pivoting gooseneck / boom and a shackle, not a bale.
The shackle is under no bending load since the boom pivots, aligning itself between the mainsheet and the mainsail
The main sheet, the boom and the mainsail all stay generally in line together...
This is why I'm curious about the anti-roll device, because it seems to me that the boom needs to rotate.

This photo illustrates what I mean...

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
The boom kicker would not work properly if the boom rotates too much.
The anti-roll prevents that.
But then, like you said, the shackle would be at the wrong angle.

What I am saying is the boom kicker demands a complete change to a bail... and something to prevent the boom from rotating (non rotating goose perhaps or the roll stopper)...

But sounds like Chris has the kicker, without the anti-roll device, but he also has a bail, also sounds like its working!

May 3, 2008
Anybody use one of these?
Pneumatic boom vang... (Vang Master)

...it looks like it would be an easy kit for trailering.