Boom kicker instalation

Jul 2, 2015
Hunter 170 Pine Knoll Shores
I bought a boom kicker for my 170. One end of the kicker needs to go in the mast slot, but the vang attachment on the mask looks to be permanently attached to the mast.

Can this vang attachment be removed and replaced? If, so how?

Thanks

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
You don't need to replace the vang hardware on the mast as the boom kicker mast attachment sits above the vang attachment On the mast, Like my model 312, your model 400 has a webbing sling on the boom end and attaches to the mast via a connector that slides down the mast slot and is screwed in place (if I remember correctly).

Jul 2, 2015
Hunter 170 Pine Knoll Shores
The gooseneck is attached to the mast and prevents just slipping the kicker into the mast's grove. Seems like the vang mast attachment would be the best thing to remove from the mast allowing the kicker to slide into the mast and then reattach the vang attachment.

Is that the way to go?

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
It's been over 3 years since I installed the Boom Kicker but I don't remember it being complicated. Unfortunately I can't have a look at my mast as I recently had a knee replacement operation and can't climb into my boat. Also we have different boats and different model Boom Kickers. If another owner can't advise I suggest you contact/email the Boom kicker people with photos. I am sure that they will be helpful. The people from the Sailboatowners.com shop are also very helpful. Suggest you contact them also.
Good luck, all the trouble will be worth it. I love my boom kicker.

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I have a different boat. If recall correctly I could drop the backing plate for the mast into the sail slot above the goose neck and it slid down behind the goose neck fitting. I did not have to remove anything from the mast. Your arrangement may be different.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I never was a fan of a boom kicker on a daysailor. Instead, I always installed a topping lift attached to the end of the boom. Let me explain. If you look at the blocks of a small boat boom vang, there is one that is double sheaved with a V jam, I use to attach this to the back end of the boom using a twist shackle and ran the line so it exited thru the V jam. Very handy as I could lower or raise the boom very quickly not to mention less set up time. In addition, I used the topping lift when sailing by myself to go around the mast and secure to the foredeck so I could come down off the boat and walk around to attach the forestay which was easier and more safely.