Boom construction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2004
- - Manitowoc
While readying the boat for the season this last week I somehow pulled the line used to tension the base of the main into the boom at the mast end. I'll swear that I used to have a knot on the line to prevent this but, it happened. Question is, how do I retrieve it. Both ends of the boom appear to have caps, these held by four screws. Do I just knock off the caps after removing the screws or is there anything else that I need to be aware of. I doubt if the caps have been off in thirty yeasr so removing them could be fun. Has anybody any better ideas than what I'm thinking. Jim G.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Both ends of the boom appear to have caps, these held by four screws. Do I just knock off the caps after removing the screws or is there anything else that I need to be aware of. I doubt if the caps have been off in thirty years so removing them could be fun.
What kind of boat do you have? That'd help.

If it's a Catalina, yes, that's how it works, with usually the outhaul block and tackle inside. Use an impact screwdriver, lots of PB Blaster and patience to get those screws out.

Jun 5, 2004
- - Manitowoc
What kind of boat do you have? That'd help.

If it's a Catalina, yes, that's how it works, with usually the outhaul block and tackle inside. Use an impact screwdriver, lots of PB Blaster and patience to get those screws out.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is a Cataline 30. Now I know that I have the right idea about how it's constructed I can start bashing the beast. I didn't want to force it too much before because I didn't know for sure what was inside the boom. Now I can go for it. Jim G

May 4, 2010
Catalina Catalina 30 Hingham
Jim,
You might want to check out the thread: C-30 outhaul repair . I was going to try to fix my outhaul in the boom but have noticed that the heads on a number of the screws are already missing. Presumably from a previous owner trying to remove them. Instead of drilling them out I am looking at the retrofit suggested.

Just a thought. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.