Boom broke on O'Day Widgeon

Aug 7, 2020
O'Day Widgeon Aurora Reservoir
Forgive my lack of correct terminology here, but I'm hoping someone can help me resolve this issue.

So the last time I tried to sail in 2021, the pin that runs into the end of the boom and hooks to the connector that slides into the mast broke loose. I'm not really sure how it was connected previously. Anyone run into this and know of a fix? Photos attached.

Attachments

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
I have a similar problem with my 170. See below, "170 Gooseneck Repair".
If I am seeing correctly, what appears to be an "eye bolt" has broken from the gooseneck. Not being familiar with that design my guess would be to drill the rivets and remove the gooseneck. Then reattach the hardware and bolt or rivet the gooseneck back on. That looks like one fabricated piece so some creativity will help.

Feb 21, 2019
Catalina 30 TR 3571 Cocoa, FL
You don't show the end of the eye that goes into the boom or its fit in the end fitting hole but suspect goose neck is salvageable and you somehow lost the retaining cotter pin. Drill both end fitting retaining rivet heads off, punch in, and remove the end fitting. You're going to have to do this whether you repair or replace. It may be as simple as reinstall the eye, a new stainless washer and then cotter pin (drill out what ever's left in existing pin hole or drill a new hole if required). Not sure there was an original washer but it will protect the Al end fitting from the cotter pin. If the end hole in the fitting is too wallowed out, find a bushing the length (or close to the length) of the fitting hole that fits the pin OD (3/8"?) and oversize the fitting hole to match bushing OD - aluminum bushing would be best but suspect nylon will work for quite a while. Reinstall the fitting assembly to the boom using stainless rivets or screws wetted with silicon sealant.