Boom Attachment to Mast

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRoser

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 30 Niceville
I have a 1980 Catalina 30 and I'm also a novice. I need to raise the boom a few inches to take pressure off the bimini and wonder how that is accomplished. The main sail does not go all the way to the top of the mast, so I have some room.
Thanks

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Check the angle of the boom to the mast first, you may need to adjust your topping lift.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Are you having interference when the sail is raised or not deployed? I had the same problem my first season when I left the boat. The boom was just a little low and lightly rubbed the dodger. It wore the material thin in that spot! Loosen you main sheet and raise the boom with the topping lift then tighten down on the main sheet. If it's happening under sail you're not raising the main high enough. Search this forum, RichH posted a great "How To"

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=120970

JRoser

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 30 Niceville
Thanks for the information. I checked the angle of the boom to mast and it is reading 88 degrees at the tack after adjusting the topping lift, Jimmcgee.

Good article from the link Bob S.

Right now I got to wait for the wind to die down before checking the bimini clearance. Just curious about the attachment of the boom to the mast, if you know those mechanics.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I also have a 1980 C 30. My P.O. installed a large bimini which is great for keeping the sun off your head, but it can rub through the bimini canvas from the boom rubbing on it. My P.O. removed the boom & raised the steel plate which attaches the goosneck to the mast in the mast track slot. There are 4 screws which hold the gooseneck to this plate. To raise the boom permamently you have to drill, tap & thread new screw holes for the gooseneck to be raised. My boom has been raise approximately 3" to allow for standing headroom under the bimini while in the cockpit. You can then raise the main higher up to the top of the mast as you described, so you can still fully hoist the main sail. The downside is it is a P.I.T.A. to remove the mainsail from the mast, as the slot for the sail slugs cannot be accessed without first removing the boom from the gooseneck. This requires some juggling to remove & reinstall the mainsail at the beginning & end of the season. (I just went through this arduous procedure). Also, when you raise the main 3 inches or more you are raising the center of effort / wind effect on the main, which can cause more heeling force on the boat. I have noticed that my C 30 is a lil' more tender at high winds then I would have expected with its heavy displacement to length ratio.

Lastly, I would not recommend only raising the topping lift to give extra clearance of the boom over the bimini. This will cause only the end of the boom to be raised & can cause the main to become baggy at the foot of the sail, & hurt performance as it will be much harder to flatten out the mainsail.
My 2 cents.

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
I bought a garhaur rigid boom vang. 14 total screws, very easy to install.
At the dock, it raises my boom about a foot above my Bimini.
It has a 20 to 1 purchase and really flattens my sail with no effort at all. Keeps the boom level on a run much easier than my old rope vang.

JRoser

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 30 Niceville
Thanks for your 2 cents jrowan, it may be worth more than that if I can't get the bimini up and get sunburned.

Thanks Nahart51. I'll keep this in mind as I wrestle with this problem.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Two machine screws into the mast at the goose-neck. If my memory serves me, they are 1/4 x 20.
There should be almost 12" of hoist left to the mast-head. You can unscrew the two screws, and the machine screw above it that is your sail stop, and this will allow the boom and main to go higher.
You can then either drill and tap new holes to attach the boom. Depending on how much of a hoist you require, you can go about 4" before you get to the slot to slide your sail in and out. Or leave it float and add a cunningham and vang to prevent the boom from rising.
If the vang is not rigid, put a screw back in to prevent the gooseneck from falling too far down along with the topping lift

Attachments

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
I had this same problem, but attacked it from a different angle. I lowered the bimini by cutting a few inches off of the lower pole, and adjusted the other poles as necesary to get the bimini taut. My sail went all the way up but would not flatten out well because of the bimini.

My 2 cents

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello

I too had the same problem with my boom interfering with my bimini top... I found a sliding mast hound/gooseneck, and attached it to the mast groove... it works great to move it up to clear my bimini, also it helps a lot with downhaul, and sail trim... my mast hound/gooseneck was not expensive and works great on my mast... I like it much better than the stationary mast hound/gooseneck... it serves to move my mast up or down as needed, it also hold the tack in place, and it has a ring for attaching my downhaul to... so it does 3 jobs in 1.... very efficient for what is it....

I bought it off E-bay... and not expensive either...

sincerely
Jess

JRoser

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 30 Niceville
Trainmanjess, do you know the manufacturer of the mast hound/gooseneck? Sounds like a possibility if things don't work out with adjusting the topping lift. Thanks

JRoser

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 30 Niceville
Resolution

Well after all the valuable information, I went out and adjusted the topping lift and traveler. And that was all she needed for the Bimini to fit correctly.
Thanks for all your information.

Oct 29, 2012
Well after all the valuable information, I went out and adjusted the topping lift and traveler. And that was all she needed for the Bimini to fit correctly.
Thanks for all your information.

If you just raised the topping lift, how will you flatten the sail ?

JRoser

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 30 Niceville
If you just raised the topping lift, how will you flatten the sail ?
It was more of the traveler being tighten down too much. The topping lift was used to help ease up the boom when I had the traveler tighten too much. Everything worked fine underway on a beautiful day this past week.

Oct 29, 2012
It was more of the traveler being tighten down too much. The topping lift was used to help ease up the boom when I had the traveler tighten too much. Everything worked fine underway on a beautiful day this past week.

Traveler????? Main sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.