Boom attachment for vang

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinister

Attempting to put a vang on an '83 CP-16. Looking for the proper distance from the mast to attach an eyestrap on the boom for the bail. Is there a rule of thumb for measuring this? My vang is adustable to about 5ft. in length. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 9, 2010
Hunter 19 foot water ballast Venice
boom vang placement

Attempting to put a vang on an '83 CP-16. Looking for the proper distance from the mast to attach an eyestrap on the boom for the bail. Is there a rule of thumb for measuring this? My vang is adustable to about 5ft. in length. Any help would be appreciated.
Generally a 45 degree angle works best for a boom vang. Measure the distance from the maststep to the gooseneck, then measure out from the gooseneck to where you put the bail. If that distance does not interfere with anything put it there, if it does move it a little.

S

sinister

boom vang

O.K.-sounds right. It seems,though, that on most boats, the attach point seems farther aft than at 45degs. But that sounds reasonable. Thanks for the reply.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The most important thing is to mount the mast end attachment point as low as possible. The boom attachment point is less critical... but around 40-45 degrees will be the most efficient. Attach the forward end first, as low as you can, then extend the vang to the boom and determine the optimal point. The lower you attach the front, the farther back on the boom you can go. Here's a visual:

http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Harken/Harken-Trimming-Systems/Boom-Vangs.htm

Last edited:
S

sinister

The most important thing is to mount the mast end attachment point as low as possible. The boom attachment point is less critical... but around 40-45 degrees will be the most efficient. Attach the forward end first, as low as you can, then extend the vang to the boom and determine the optimal point. The lower you attach the front, the farther back on the boom you can go. Here's a visual:

http://www.mauriprosailing.com/Harken/Harken-Trimming-Systems/Boom-Vangs.htm
Thanks for the illustrations--they should make the install a breeze. Just wanted to make sure I get the right location for the best effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.