Boom angle?

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
Hello everyone,

I just spent some time replacing the internal rigging inside my boom and reattached the boom to the mast. It seems like pretty basic stuff.

I used a new synthetic line out to the topping lift and reconfigured the attachment to get the boat through the rest of the season. I may go back to stainless wire after, but I'm not sure. I have read that the synthethic line does a pretty good job. The outhaul rigging is still the original 1/8" stainless.

My question is:

Does the boom need to be at a perfect 90 angle to the mast after be attached to the topping lift, or can I be off a degree or two?

Thanks.................John

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Boom angle

The boom angle while your main sail is not up isn't critical. You may actually want the outboard (clew) end of the boom to be higher for better head room clearance. When the main is hoisted, you don't want the topping lift to effect the shape of the sail (leech). Keep it loose while you're sailing.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
However, if you are in light wind, and the weight of the boom is pulling down, it can close off the leech and reduce twist, when what you really want is more twist. In these instances, you can use the topping lift to support the boom, open the leech, and allow the top of the main to twist off correctly.

The boom angle while your main sail is not up isn't critical. You may actually want the outboard (clew) end of the boom to be higher for better head room clearance. When the main is hoisted, you don't want the topping lift to effect the shape of the sail (leech). Keep it loose while you're sailing.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Hello everyone,

I just spent some time replacing the internal rigging inside my boom and reattached the boom to the mast. It seems like pretty basic stuff.

I used a new synthetic line out to the topping lift and reconfigured the attachment to get the boat through the rest of the season. I may go back to stainless wire after, but I'm not sure. I have read that the synthethic line does a pretty good job. The outhaul rigging is still the original 1/8" stainless.

My question is:

Does the boom need to be at a perfect 90 angle to the mast after be attached to the topping lift, or can I be off a degree or two?

Thanks.................John
The topping lift should be adjustable.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Just so! And easily adjustable. Mine runs forward along the boom to a cleat, so it's less likely to be near the edge of the boat when I reach up to adjust it, and possibly fall out :D

Thanks for pointing this out, Joe!

The topping lift should be adjustable.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
On my boat there is a block on the end of the topping lift. A line goes up from the end of the boom, through the block then down through a fair lead to a cam cleat close to the end of the boom. This makes the height adjustable.

It is easier to leave the topping lift connected whilst sailing so you don't have to capture a bucking boom to attach it before lowering the main - especially if singlehanding.

Jan 6, 2010
John,

Let me tell you what I do.

What I see alot in many other boats under sail is that the boom is angled down. I also see that their mains have alot of vertical stretch lines near the leach. To me, it says that the sail luff is not set high enough or, it's just an old sail or, does their main maybe not have an adjustable leach line or one not set properly to avoid stretch. All of the above will result in a lower boom.

Then you can have problems of the boom pushing & wearing on the bimini.

When I douse my sail under way, I then set the boom angled up about 10° & snug up the main sheet. When I put my cover on, this angle also allows for any water that gets into the sails to drain @ the goose neck. When I raise my main, then I slacken the topping lift. Never have a boom angled down & pulled tight before raising. Your main when properly raised, designed & snugged up should have your boom perpendicular with no angle when you slacken the topping lift.

Just me take on it pal.

CR

Apr 5, 2015
Islander 26 Little Creek Navy Base
God......I am such a newbie!

After reading all your replies, I went by the boat on the way home from work and looked at everything.

After looking at how it all works.......

All I could think was.......................DUH ME!

Thank you everyone! And fair winds!

Jan 6, 2010
Little,

Fear not pal, all the great advice givers on this site were at one time,

NEWBIES OURSELVES!

Remember, it's the journey that makes it special.

CR