Boom Angle on 2000 H380

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
New mast , old boom. My boom is attached lower at the mast than its lowest position over the arch by at least 8 inches. This means my boom is at about 8 degree angle and not close to a right angle. Recommendations to prevent unfurling problems is a boom at 90 degrees, with 2% down for unfurling and 2% up for furling which is impossible for my H380.

At first I thought my Boom was mounted to the new mast too low. However I did a search on H380s and all the Selden Furling mast were set up the same way on other H380s. After the reconditioned sails were installed, I tried unfurling and it has not gone well.....

Thanks to YouTube videos on unfurling the Selden , I have managed to unstick it some by an alternate in and out motion...

Anyone else having such problems.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Did you get the sail recut for this? Who installed it? From your comments, do you have in in-the-mast or -boom furler?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Your boom angle should match your sail cut ( luff to foot) angle.
Example:
Luff/Foot angle = 85°
Boom angle with the horizontal should be (90°-85°)=

Why?
The boom car has easiest pull and you don't force a Leach twist on furling.

If you don't know your sail cut angle, release the vang and let out a bit on the main sheet to let your boom "float" and then note the boom angle for the "path of least resistance".
Jim...

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Well they need to match, as was pointed out above. You need to maintain the right leech and luff tension when furling -- but as importantly, when sailing you need to be able to shape the sail.

Why wouldn't the boom have been put back where it was originally? (Holes didn't match? Boom from a different boat? )

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Hunter replacement stanchions

From current Marlow-Hunter boats to the classic cherubinis of the 80s, we have most stanchions and bases available, many of them in stock for quick shipment.
See the product

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Thanks, the sails cut does allow for the upward angle of the boom.

I ended up climbing the mast and manually tucking in the white dacron that was trying to come out in a bunch.., then refulrled, worked well after that, only let a few feet out however before refurling.. will try again in a few minutes.

Don't want to get a lot out and then have a problem getting it back in with the afternoon winds and I'm at the dock.

Took my wife out for a training session and all worked well, Used electric winches for out and in hauling, made short work of the task after first doing the task manually. She will no longer complain about the cost of the electric winches,

Quickly learning to love my electric 46 Lewmar winches... And they have been great for raising our RIB.

Regards,

Viper

Last edited:

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Well they need to match, as was pointed out above. You need to maintain the right leech and luff tension when furling -- but as importantly, when sailing you need to be able to shape the sail.

Why wouldn't the boom have been put back where it was originally? (Holes didn't match? Boom from a different boat? )

It was a new mast, old boom. Given the work and problems with getting work done on the boat, almost a year of rebuild, as 2 weeks before I picked up the boat, another boat fell on mine, leveling the deck hardware, some Glass work, all new running and standing rigging, but the boom.... I have had to learn to question everything, $100K later.

The new mast needed a new mast step, which required a new mast plate, which had to be fabricated.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Used electric winches for out and in hauling, made short work of the task after first doing the task manually.
That is ok if and only if you take pauses to assure there is NO twist of the leach. Do it, pause, check and continue...
The key is the proper well done FURL.

If you see a problem, backup or unFURL, then get it right!
Jim...