Boom alignment on Hunter 41ac

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
I have replaced my topping lift on my hunter 41 ac and noticed that unless I really hoist the boom up my the pulley on the traveler and the pulley on the boom hit. It seems to me the pulley on the boom is too far forward. Pictures attached. If I want to movie it further to the stern I would need to drill and
6C9478E4-610D-452F-AFBC-BED91B18E75A.jpeg
thread new holes In the boom for the eye the pulley connects to. Many thanks in advance
09F0D3A9-4551-4753-A4E0-8CE04490C5BF.jpeg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Had exactly the same problem after my rigger replaced my topping lift and found the boom interfering with the traveler block. After a while I found that by raising the boom height with the topping lift I was able to avoid the traveler block interference. Hope that works for you.

• Helpful
Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I have the same boat. I personally would move the block farther aft. I have found that if you tighten up the spare halyard/topping lift it will sing and send very annoying vibrations into the cabin in a blow. With the rodkicker doing all the work of holding the boom at the right height, you can leave the topping lift loose and it will not sing. Also, it looks like your boom is in a better position ( lower) to allow the sail to be pulled flater for making better performance to wind. Mine was set too high so I moved the rodkicker attach point farther aft to lower the boom. One other thing you might do is put a swivel at the end of the main sheet where it attaches to the block; it keeps the line from getting all tangled up from the winch induced twist.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I would raise the boom about 2 inches and if you have a boom vang, lock it down at new elevation.

Since I have in-mast furling, my boom is lifted about 7° off the horizontal.
Drilling a boom is not fun.
Jim...

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
All thank you all for your input. What I did was pick up a 6m-1.00 tap move the slide down 8 inches drill two pilot holes, then increase holes Size and then tap. 6 bucks and 15 min later now looks like this. And now can get that 7 to 11 degree angle

thanks again for all your input

Attachments