Booboo at winterisation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2007
- - Coan River Marina
I got caught by a cold snap here in Virginia and didn't have the Universal engine winterised. The marina personnel began feeding in the anti freeze but it took several minutes for the pink stuff to exit the rear end. He then noticed that the raw water pump was leaking and when he called me said that "it might be a broken seal". Any comments? Thx Peter

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Peter, I am in Virginia also, and so far we have been spared most of the bad stuff the rest of the country has. I would not worry too much, but would plan on replacing the impeller and the seal in the spring and then seeing what, if anything, is wrong. Here at Quantico we actually had people taking their boats out on Saturday.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Peter, One other thing to remember is that you probably broke a few vanes off of the impeller - that may be why it took so long to pump the anti-freeze through. If you follow the hose from the raw water pump to the heat exchange, you will be able to clean the vanes out of the hear exchanger by taking off the side cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.