Boneheaded mistake creates bad smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Murray Sailing Club
Trying to save a few bucks, I purchased a gallon jug of West Marine head deodorant. I placed the jug in the area under the head sink on the port side (87 Catalina 30). Somehow, the jug developed a hole. The entire contents found a small crack between the hull and the interior shell. I do not know where the stringers are in relationship to the interior layout to determine if and how I might get the solution out. I think the solution has congealed and is in a great big green blob under the flooring. Any thoughts on getting it out? Will the fragrance eventually go away? Will water kick back up the smell at a later date?

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
If it drains back to the bilge, I think would drill a half inch hole and flush it out with water, patch the hole and fix the crack at the same time.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Murray Sailing Club
I was speaking to a guy on our dock and he suggested pouring water into the area between the hull and the head and use my oil removal pump to suck up the sluge. My fear is that there may be small fiberglass shaving mixed in... I wish I knew where the stringers were located as that would give me a starting place. Going to try a few things before adding another hole in the boat. :)

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
if you are looking for the stringers I wonder if a stud finder would help?

Mar 19, 2009
Catalina 30 Apollo Beach Florida
Before you go into cutting and drilling and waste time working rather than sailing. Unless your worried about the solution that spilled doing damage ie. eating away at your boat. i would first start with a nonevasive solution such as an oder elimating product. I have attached a link that may be of help. Have fun sailing and less time working (my motto)!
http://www.cleartheair.com/english/boat_yacht_odors.html

Status
Not open for further replies.