Bon Voyage!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
For sure give it a few months before you decide to look for activities.

I took a year, as I still had a consulting commitment to the buyer of my business. Within a couple of months, the calls quickly diminished. Being not available immediately on the phone helped wean the need for instant answers.

When I focused my thinking on activities I wanted to explore for fun, the doors to new opportunities opened.

Sailing and boat work was always an easy available option.

Sharing stories and pouring wine in a Vineyard Tasting room was not even on the radar. But oh what fun I am having doing it. Most important, for me, was to engage in activities that I control my time commitment. That way if family trips or travel opportunities occur there is nothing to obstruct these activities.

Good luck with this new adventure time. Make it an enriching experience.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
Congratulations. You’ll have no problem filling your time.

Four years ago, I sold my share in my company and retired at 60. I’m not missing the treadmill of 50-60 hour work weeks at all. I now split my time between sailing, my art studio and travel.

These days, Chicago has just two seasons for me; sailing season and studio/travel season.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
After being a sailboat dealer, I chose to help fellow sailors mostly with trailerable sailboats and other volunteer work.
You retired from the railroad industry. Greg, do you have a model train layout and if so, which scale?

crazy dave

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Disconcerting is how I put it, knowing little income coming in for the next xxx years (hopefully a long time) and not old enough for Medicare. Maybe worse yet was thinking that my job and employees would move to someone else next Monday, and I would be “less relevant”. But I think I will get over that feeling by Tuesday or Wednesday.:beer:.

Cheers,

Greg
In my second year of retirement. It‘s difficult to shake that “less relevant” feeling. I’m now feeling less of that, like “less relevant to what”? Things change. The important thing is to focus on meaningful or significant things on which to base your esteem.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
After 40 years of work, mostly in the railroad business, today was RETIREMENT day!

At work, the team presented me with this token of well-wishes…
View attachment 223287
Way better than a gold watch!

And tonight, some friends came over for few drinks and presented me with this gem…

View attachment 223289
They all know me too well. :)

Went out to check on Tally Ho today…I have to pick a boat project to start on Monday….have to stay busy in retirement ;)

Cheers,

Greg
Congratulations welcome to the club.
I retired in 2020 after 43 years of working. Have to say I highly recommend being retired. As many others have said I do wonder how I found time to fit work in. The beauty is you can be as busy as you want to be.
I have found it rewarding to channel energy into volunteer activity but be careful, you can find yourself working more than full time for free LOL

Pursue hobbies you’ve wanted to spend more time at, and pursue some new ones. I’d always thought it would be fun to play the piano but never did anything about it. With retirement I began taking lessons and 4 years later am still playing. And love it.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
After being a sailboat dealer, I chose to help fellow sailors mostly with trailerable sailboats and other volunteer work.
You retired from the railroad industry. Greg, do you have a model train layout and if so, which scale?

crazy dave
No train set Dave….just some models of rail cars I had built over the years.

i am planning to build a bar in my basement, and the train car models will take a prominent place along with sailing paraphernalia.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Congratulations welcome to the club.
I retired in 2020 after 43 years of working. Have to say I highly recommend being retired. As many others have said I do wonder how I found time to fit work in. The beauty is you can be as busy as you want to be.
I have found it rewarding to channel energy into volunteer activity but be careful, you can find yourself working more than full time for free LOL

Pursue hobbies you’ve wanted to spend more time at, and pursue some new ones. I’d always thought it would be fun to play the piano but never did anything about it. With retirement I began taking lessons and 4 years later am still playing. And love it.
Today was my first “rest of my life” day! Felt good to not get up and drive to work…but as you said, staying busy is important…just don’t replace one job for another :cool:

I have several hobbies, so I think I can stay busy…

Good to be in the club.

Greg