Bon Voyage!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
After 40 years of work, mostly in the railroad business, today was RETIREMENT day!

At work, the team presented me with this token of well-wishes…
IMG_2970.jpeg
Way better than a gold watch!

And tonight, some friends came over for few drinks and presented me with this gem…

IMG_2978.jpeg
They all know me too well. :)

Went out to check on Tally Ho today…I have to pick a boat project to start on Monday….have to stay busy in retirement ;)

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I saw a cute joke - two old guys were sitting on a bench. The one guy gets a call from his wife, "What are you doing?" He answers, "Nothing." His wife says, "But that's what you were doing yesterday!" His answer, "Yeah, I'm not done yet."

dj

Jan 7, 2011
I saw a cute joke - two old guys were sitting on a bench. The one guy gets a call from his wife, "What are you doing?" He answers, "Nothing." His wife says, "But that's what you were doing yesterday!" His answer, "Yeah, I'm not done yet."

dj
I have seen that!

I love it:cool:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Greg.
Instead of work time, Now is Greg time.

I’m confident that you will soon discover many old and new things to occupy your daily schedule.:banghead:

When I retired, a friend shared an important acronym (mantra) to use when former coworkers call with a “serious question” …. :yikes:

NMP…. Not My Problem. :biggrin:

It has served me well.
I therefore pass it forward. :beer:

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
After 40 years of work, mostly in the railroad business, today was RETIREMENT day!

At work, the team presented me with this token of well-wishes…
View attachment 223287
Way better than a gold watch!

And tonight, some friends came over for few drinks and presented me with this gem…

View attachment 223289
They all know me too well. :)

Went out to check on Tally Ho today…I have to pick a boat project to start on Monday….have to stay busy in retirement ;)

Cheers,

Greg
Sounds like you'll miss them, and vice-versa. Hope for you that the watch would have been more useful than the lifering turns out to be.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Congratulations on your retirement, Greg. Yes, keep busy, walk a lot, enjoy life and be sure to keep an eye on your colon and prostate; both can be silent killers.

Retired in 1997 after 31 years in the telecom field. Then did three years of contract work in the same field. After that tried not working. Did some volunteer work, but disliked the idea of life without purpose. So, in January 2005 started a second career by driving school bus, which has been one of the many joys of my life; that along with cruising on Belle-Vie. Hope to continue driving and sailing for another eleven or so years. We'll see.

Just take each day with high spirits and accept what life brings you. Rest will come soon enough.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Congratulations !!
Retirement is a highly under rated place to be!! I took the step 16 years ago.. a scary first step but well worth it!! Congrats again !!

Jan 7, 2011
Congrats Greg.
Instead of work time, Now is Greg time.

I’m confident that you will soon discover many old and new things to occupy your daily schedule.:banghead:

When I retired, a friend shared an important acronym (mantra) to use when former coworkers call with a “serious question” …. :yikes:

NMP…. Not My Problem. :biggrin:

It has served me well.
I therefore pass it forward. :beer:
Thanks John. Told my boss he could call, but the consulting clicks after 5 minutes of small talk :cool:

Cheers,

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Sounds like you'll miss them, and vice-versa. Hope for you that the watch would have been more useful than the lifering turns out to be.
Good point Paul….my son mentioned that could have sold the gold watch…

But I think that the life ring will get hung over the bar (that I have to build);)

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Congratulations on your retirement, Greg. Yes, keep busy, walk a lot, enjoy life and be sure to keep an eye on your colon and prostate; both can be silent killers.

Retired in 1997 after 31 years in the telecom field. Then did three years of contract work in the same field. After that tried not working. Did some volunteer work, but disliked the idea of life without purpose. So, in January 2005 started a second career by driving school bus, which has been one of the many joys of my life; that along with cruising on Belle-Vie. Hope to continue driving and sailing for another eleven or so years. We'll see.

Just take each day with high spirits and accept what life brings you. Rest will come soon enough.
Good advice Terry!

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Congratulations !!
Retirement is a highly under rated place to be!! I took the step 16 years ago.. a scary first step but well worth it!! Congrats again !!
Disconcerting is how I put it, knowing little income coming in for the next xxx years (hopefully a long time) and not old enough for Medicare. Maybe worse yet was thinking that my job and employees would move to someone else next Monday, and I would be “less relevant”. But I think I will get over that feeling by Tuesday or Wednesday.:beer:.

Cheers,

Greg

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Congrats to you Greg. Been retired for almost 20 years and only regretted it in the first 3 weeks when I was wondering what I would do with the free time ! Now I wonder if I shouldn't look for a job so I could get some rest moments from 9 to 5 :D. My agenda is so jam-packed (sailing and working on boat projects takes a good chunk of time in season) that I have to look at it before accepting a commitment. I love every minute of it and I'm sure you will too. Happy busy retirement !!!